In Real Life: Chapter 21

NICK’S POV

“Perfect timing Dems,” I growled as she leaned closer. Instead of saying anything she kept quiet forcing me to look over at her. “Demi, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Demi said unconvincingly. I shot her a look of disbelief. “Everything.” 

“Well, I can’t help if you don’t start talking,” I said as she held my hand tighter. She was clutching it as if it was her lifeline. “Tell me what’s wrong.”

“I talked to Joe a few nights ago,” Demi started softly. “I told him how I felt. That I was having trouble letting him go.” She breathed a heavy sigh. “Of course I neglected to tell him that I was talking about him.”

“You’re not going to get anywhere keeping your feelings from Joe.”

“Did you tell Nicole how you feel about her?”

“No,” I said admitting defeat. I couldn’t really tell her what to do when I couldn’t do it myself. But just a few minutes ago I had been so close. I had almost kissed Nicole. I had almost kissed my sister! I shook my head trying to shake that last thought from my mind. I had to stop referring to Nicole as my sister. She was more than that. She was the love of my life. “But I need to tell her. I almost had a chance back there before you interrupted.”

“Nick, did you hear me? I’m giving up on Joe. And you should give up on Nicole.”

“I think you shouldn’t be giving up. You need to tell Joe how you feel. I’m not giving up on Nicole.” I finally looked at Demi, and that’s when I saw it. That look people give you when a loved one has died. That look that said there was no hope for you. No chance.

“Aren’t you going to ask me why I’m giving up on Joe?” she asked softly. There it was. The question I did and didn’t want to know the answer to.

“Why? Why are you letting Joe go?”

“He kissed Nicole.” I closed my eyes and stood trying to block her out. No wonder Joe had been so smug when we agreed to our deal. He thought he had already won. “Don’t you get it Nick? Joe has Nicole. And Nicole has Joe. You need to let her go.”

“I’m not giving up Demi,” I roared as I marched to my door. “You can do whatever you want, but I’m not losing Nicole to him. I love her.”

“Just because you love someone doesn’t mean you can make them love you back.” I ignored her and marched out of the room in search of Nicole. Just because Joe kissed her didn’t mean that I had lost. I just needed to find Nicole and tell her how I felt. Then we could be together. I raced through the house finally coming upon Nicole out on the back deck with her arms around Joe. I was too late.

“I think we should go out on a date,” Nicole said with her face buried in Joe’s chest.

“Really?” Joe asked. “Sure.” I felt my heart sink as I backed away. Nicole had chosen one of us. I had just always assumed that she would choose me. I walked slowly back to my room and sat down next to Demi who hadn’t left the room at all.

“Nick? Are you okay?” Demi asked. I leaned my head against her shoulder and allowed the tears to fall. “I was right wasn’t I?”

“She picked him. How could she pick him?” Demi moved jolting me from her shoulder in the process. I looked up to see that she had moved over to the window turning her back to me.

“I guess this means it’s really time for me to let him go.” I thought back to my agreement with Joe. Once Nicole chose the other person had to step away. I had to let her go. I looked over at my dresser where a framed picture of me and Nicole sat. That was easier said than done, I thought. “Nick, how do you fall out of love with someone?”

“I don’t know,” I replied. “But if you figure it out promise you’ll tell me, okay?”

[AN: So I can either rush for an ending OR find a stopping point around here and then make a second season. Votes?]