Page 17

We snuck out again. This time we were going to the mall. It was downtown so you had a cab waiting outside the hospital. I'd never taken a cab before. It was weird.

When we got to the mall, you asked where I wanted to go. I had no idea. We went to the first store you saw. It was a shoe store. We didn't know what to do. I started to walk out when all of a sudden you dragged me over to a chair. A saleswoman came over.

"May I help you?"

"Yes," you replied. Your voice seemed higher.

"Can we see the black heels in a ten?" you asked.

That was a size bigger than I wore. I wondered where you going with this.

As soon as she left, I asked you,

"What are you doing?"

You shushed me and winked. I just sat back.

When the saleswoman came, she turned to me and said,

"What's the occasion?" I shrugged.

"They're not for her," you said.

"Oh, who then? Sister, mother?"

You smiled,

"They're for me".

I turned to you, mouth open eyes wide. The saleswoman's face turned red and she mumbled something about help and then scurried off.

"What is wrong with you?" I asked.

You just grinned as you tried on the shoes. Actually put on the shoes. Then you proceeded to get up, and walk around in two inch heels. All around that store. People stared, but your head was held high. On the outside, I was shocked. On the inside I was rolling on the floor with laughter.

You took them off after a couple of minutes, put them in the box, took them to the counter and said,

"They're a bit snug". Then you grabbed my hand and walked out.

We made it in front of the neighboring store before we died laughing.

"I can't believe you did that!"

"I didn't know what else to do! We were in a shoe store, and all the workers were staring at us..."

You trailed off. So I grabbed your face and kissed you. I loved kissing you.

We visited a few stores, got real food at the food court, then visited a couple more stores. Finally, we were ready to go. Before we did, you pulled me into a photo booth- the kind that took four pictures. I smiled for the first one. Then you asked to for me to look at you. You had a ring in your hand (a simple ring, plain. Very pretty design. It was perfect for me). You said,

"We're young, I get that. We have a one in a million chance of this lasting. But I love you. And just in case, I want to do this. Will you be engaged to me?" Second picture.

You had said it quickly, to get it all out.

"Engaged to be engaged?" I asked.

You smiled,

"Yeah".

I grinned; a couple tears slipped from my eye.

"Yes. Yes, I will."

You put the ring on my finger. Third picture.

We just smiled at each other for a moment. Then you kissed me. Fourth picture.

That night was our first time- our first and last. Our only time. I don't regret it. I don't regret accepting the ring, or that night. I regret after. When I let my guard down and let myself think of the future. What it could be. There were so many fuzzy possibilities. It made it that much harder when you- got sick.

I never took off this ring.