Chapter 11

Justin's POV

When I went to go get the doctor I saw a very familiar woman sitting in the waiting room with a hoodie and jogging pants on. I just shrugged it off and went to get the doctor.

"Hailey is awake," I told the doctor as he looked up from his clipboard. When I said that he practically ran to Hailey's room. "How long has she been up?" The doctor asked. "I don't know, 10 minutes?" I said more as a question. "Was her heart rate stable?" So many questions! "I didn't pay attention to it, but I think it was alright," I said uncertainly.

The doctor turned to me and put both hands on my shoulder. "Son, I know that you care about this girl very much, or that's how it looks like anyway. If I don't get this information she could die. She has many problems. She is very weak. There is a very high possibility she could die this week. " I took all of that. What did I do to her?

The doctor starts walking again. I'm speed walking to keep up with him. "I just have one more question, does she remember you?" He asked. "Yeah, but she forgot what happened to her so I told her and she remembered." When I said that he sighed. "Do you know her personally?" He asked. "Yeah, I do," I said not really thinking before I said it. "Well, you're going to have to remind her of the stuff she doesn't know. She knows it, it's just in the back of her head right now, and if you give her the wrong information, she'll know it's wrong." He said in a hurry. It was hard to soak in all this information, but I tried my best. Anything for her.

A few seconds later we were in Hailey's room. When we got to her room the nurse was doing something to her cast. "Hello, Miss. Mitchell, how are you feeling today?" The doctor politely smiled. "I can't move." She said in a confused matter. "That is because we put some morphine in you when we were doing all the operations. It will wear off in a few hours." The doctor informed her. She just nodded her head. "Can I ask you some questions, Hailey?" The doctor asked.

I started to get a little nervous. Questions? What kind of questions? "Sure." She said emotionlessly. "I saw cuts on your body while operating on you. Did you do those cuts?" He asked raising an eyebrow. I heard the heart monitor pick up its pace. "Yes, I did." She said. He wrote something on his clipboard. "Are you depressed?" He asked, but not like it was meant just for her, more like a routine of questions he has to ask. "Yes, I am." She said then looked away for a second. He looked alarmed at that. Is he fucking kidding me? Her heart rate picked up more. "Are you allergic to anything?" He asked. "Not that I know of." She answered. Her breathing was getting shallower. Is she going to have an anxiety attack? "I think she's done with the questions today doc," I told him. He looked at me wearily but left it alone. "Ok, I'll see you tomorrow Hailey." He said as he left. She just nodded her head and politely smiled.

"Why are you here Justin?" She asked looking at me. I sat at the end of her bed looking into her eyes. They don't have that sparkle like they used to when we were kids. We were never friends, but I would always notice her eyes at school, never her face or body. Just her beautiful eyes. "I don't know," I said honestly. I didn't have to be here, I could have just dropped her off and went home, but I stayed. And I don't know why. "Well thanks for staying, but you could leave." She said looking away. "No," I said. Why am I saying no?!?! "Why not, you hate me. You probably just saved me to not loose your punching bag." She said casually. "I stayed because I care about you," I said in a rush.

She didn't say anything for a while and I thought she fell back asleep, but I was proved wrong when she moved a little. "I don't get it then." She said suddenly making me jump a little. "Don't get what?" I asked looking at her in the eyes. "Why now? Why do you care now? Because right now it seems like the cruelest fucking joke ever." She said emotionlessly. "It's not a joke Hailey. I really do care about you." I said a lump forming in my throat. It's hard for me to say what I feel. "Whatever." She said turning on her side that doesn't have a broken arm.

"You can move now!" I exclaimed ignoring her comment. "Yeah, I could move when I first woke up, but I've been in here too many times to know that that's what the doctor wants to hear." She said staring out the window blankly. She then looked at me again. "Go home, you look like satan personally kicked your ass." She said and brought the blanket that was on half of her body and pulled it up to her chin with the arm that was under her body. "I'm not leaving you alone," I said still looking at her even though she looked away. "There's probably going to be five nurses checking on me every half hour, I won't be alone." She said still looking at the wall. "I told you I'm not leaving, and that's final," I said getting frustrated. "Whatever." She said just staring out the window now. I was getting frustrated from her whatever responses.

She didn't say anything after that. I want to hear more than 'whatever'. "Say something!" I yelled. I didn't mean to yell, it's just, silence with someone makes me angry. I heard her heart monitor pick up speed the second time today. "What do you want me to say?" She asked softly. "Anything! I don't care! It could be about school, it could be about how much pain you're in, I don't care! Just. Say. Something." I said flailing my arms around. When I did that Hailey flinched. Great, now she's scared of me. Well, she's always been afraid of me, but... "I don't want to go back to school. I'm afraid." She said. I could tell it was difficult for her to say that, but I'm glad she did. "Why are you afraid?" I asked grabbing her hand. She tensed up instantly at my touch. "You." She said her heart monitor going crazy.

"I'm not going to hurt you anymore," I said to her. She snapped her head to look at me. "You said that last time, now look where I am." I did say that to her before, and I don't blame her that she doesn't trust me, but I'm the only one that can help her. "Who else is here to help you, huh? Whether you like it or not, I'm all you got right now." I said. "I did just fine when I had no one." She said stubbornly. "Well, who's going to pay the hospital bills?" I asked. "I'll get a job." She said. "Hailey, you are depressed! You are anorexic! You can not survive on your own!" I yelled standing up. "Ok, ok, please stop yelling." She pleaded putting her hands up as a shield. Her hands were shaking I noticed. "I'm sorry. I won't yell again." I murmured sitting back down on her bed. She didn't put her hands down, though.

I gently put her hands down. "I'm not gonna hurt you," I said as I put a stray piece of her hair back into place. I don't know why I'm being so nice, but I think it's because I like her. She nodded her head and closed her eyes. "Can you sing me a song?" She asked me quietly. "Sure," I said curling next to her because she was shivering. She felt so small and delicate in my arms.

"Say something, I'm giving up on you.

I'll be the one if you want me to.

Anywhere, I would've followed you.

Say something, I'm giving up on you.

And I am feeling so small.

It was over my head

I know nothing at all.

And I will stumble and fall.

I'm still learning to love

Just starting to crawl.

Say something, I'm giving up on you.

I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you.

Anywhere, I would've followed you.

Say something, I'm giving up on you.

And I will swallow my pride.

You're the one that I love

And I'm saying goodbye.

Say something, I'm giving up on you.

And I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you.

And anywhere, I would have followed you.

Oh-oh-oh-oh say something, I'm giving up on you.

Say something, I'm giving up on you.

Say something..."

I sang quietly to her. I heard her deep breathing on my chest. I definitely like her...

---------------------------------------------

AAAAAWWWWW!!!! The song was Say Something by A Great Big World. Thank you to @DevaniBieber for standing up for me. If it's boring don't read it! Thanks again.

60 votes

60 Comments

LOTS, LOTS, LOTS, LOTS, AND LOTS of reads

Luv u!

-M