Chapter 2

Hailey's POV

The first half of my classes are only with Ryan an Chaz, so I'm safe. I walk to my locker to get stuff for music, but not before I'm pushed to the ground by Justin. "Watch where you're going bitch." He smirked. Is that all the guy does? Smirk?

I got up but one of Justin's plastic Barbie dolls pushed me back down and kick me with her high heel in the stomach. Why does everyone like hitting there? I was about to try to get up again, but then Barbie #2 stomped her heel on my arm causing it to bleed. I screamed because of the pain. "Don't you dare make a fucking noise!" I heard Justin yell. I could only nod my head. I heard the Barbie walk away, but I could still smell Justin.

"If you're gonna hit me do it already," I said after about three minutes. I heard him take a step closer so I tensed up waiting for the pain, but all he did was kick me in the leg. He knows that hurt the least, so why there? I quickly stood up and jogged to music, limping a little.

When I got to the classroom I quickly said, "Sorry I'm late Mr.N." He's the only teacher nice to me. He quickly smiled from his computer to me, "No problem." I quickly scanned a room for an empty seat in the back, but Justin was in the back row. In the middle. I sighed and went to the farthest right corner desk away from the world.

"Ok, so today we are going to sing." I heard a lot of groans, but I actually like singing. I can play the piano too. "And you can pick your song he said smiling. Still a good amount of groans. I saw Justin out of the corner of my eye looking at me. I'm probably getting a bad beating after school and he's excited. "Hailey, you're a good singer. Come up here and give an example of a song we would sing here. You can also play the piano." Only Mr.N has heard me sing before. So I'm pretty nervous.

I quickly go up to the front with my head down. I sit on the piano bench thinking of a song to sing. Got it!

"Little girl terrified

She leave her room if only bruises would heal

A home is no place to hide

Her heart is breaking from the pain that she feels

Everyday the same she fights to find her way

She hurts she breaks she hides and tries to pray

She wonders why, does anyone ever hear her when she cries

Today she's turning sixteen

Everyone singing but she can't seem to smile

They never get past arms length

How could they act like everything is alright

Pulling down her long sleeves to cover all the memories that scars leave

She says, "maybe making me bleed will be the answer that could wash the slate clean"

Everyday the same she fights to find her way

She hurts she breaks she hides and tries to pray

She wonders why does anyone ever here her when she cries

This is the dark before the dawn

The storm before the peace

Don't be afraid because seasons change and

God is watching over you

He hears you

Everyday the same she fights to find her way

She hurts she breaks she hides and tries to pray

She'll be just fine cause I know he hears her when she cries

Everyday the same she-she fights to find her way

She hurts she breaks she hides and tries to pray

She wonders why, does anyone ever hear her when she cries

She'll be just fine, because I know he hears her when she cries

She'll be just fine cause I know he hears her when she cries."

I say there still crying a little because this is me. That song is me. Everyone sat there stunned. I was probably so bad they had no comment. Someone started clapping, then everyone started clapping and then it was like an uproar. I fake smiled to show my appreciation. I quickly fast walked to my seat.

When I sat down Justin was sitting there with wide eyes staring at me. Damn! Now he's gonna say I did horrible and beat me even harder. "That class is what you could do to get an A. Hailey is an amazing singer, but you don't have to have the talent to get an A. All you have to do is show emotion! She's crying for Pete's sake!" When he said that everyone looked at me so I hid my face. Did he have to say that? I'm already ugly no need to draw more attention.

"So today all of you, except for Hailey, are going to pick a song. Come on! Get to work! Chop, chop! Computers are over there!" Mr. N ordered. What am I supposed to do? Mr. N walked over to me and sat down in a seat across from me. "You are going to write songs." I'm what?!?!? That's only for at home with my guitar!!! "Please. We need someone like you to lead the group. You have so much talent, and I'm sure that song was yours." He pleaded. He was right, I did write that. "Ok. I'll do it." I said sighing. "Fantastic!" He said popping out of his chair. "You could use any instrument if you want to." He said going who knows where.

I look around the room for an acoustic guitar and found one. I quickly walked over to it. I tried to reach it but I'm like 5 inches too short. I try to jump and reach it, but still to no avail. There were no chairs except for the ones that were attached to the desk, and only Mr. N's rolling chair. Like seriously! Bad time to be short! I was about to go get Mr. N when someone got the guitar down. He was in back of me so I couldn't see his face, but I know it's Justin. I turn around shaking ready to walk away and use the piano, but theme Justin thrust the guitar in my direction. I flinched ready for impact, but I didn't feel anything. I slowly opened my eyes and he was waiting impatiently giving me the guitar. I slowly took it not believing he's giving it to me. "T-Thanks?" I said more as a question. "Yeah, whatever." He grumbled and walked away. No slap? No kick? No punch? He's probably saving it all for after school.

I practically run back to my seat. When I sit down I kick my legs up on the desk and start strumming. "There was a girl. Who couldn't see the possibilities. There was a girl. Who couldn't stand to be seen. There was a girl who was scared to sing." I sang writing it down in a notebook. I'm trying to sing an opening line, but somehow those words didn't express how sad, scared, invisible, that I feel.

I started plucking random notes on the guitar like I do at home when I can't think of something. "I feel unloved by everyone. I go home to see that mommy's drunk. I go home that daddy's angry. Again. I go to school feeling like I'm not good enough. I try to dress up, but all that does is make me a whore. I try to be nice, but all that does is make me a bitch." I sang writing it down. I cried a little because all I did was remind myself of everything. "There's cuts on my wrist. Cause I feel pain as much as you do. Yeah, I'm fat I know that. I look in the mirror. It probably broke like me, cause I'm ugly, I'm worthless, and things I hear say everyday. There's cuts on my wrist. To remind me, that I'm afraid." Wow, these lyrics suck. I look up from the guitar for the first time to see that everyone is looking at me. Even Justin. "What?!?" I ask. "I broke already! No need to rub it in!" I don't know where that confidence came from, but I guess there's more. "You all know that! Especially you!" I yelled pointing to Justin. Instead of anger on his face, (which was what I was expecting), I see shock. Ooohhh, I'm really gonna get it after school.