I Can't See Her

"Long before the birth of light, there was darkness, and from that darkness came the Dark Elves." You sat in your fathers lap as Odin began to tell you the story of the Dark Elves and the Aether. "Millennia ago, the most ruthless of their kind, Malekith, sought to turn our universe back into one of eternal night. Such evil was possible through the power of the Aether, an ancient force of infinite destruction. The noble armies of Asgard, led by my father, and your great grandfather, King Bor, waged a war against the Dark Elves. As the Nine Worlds converged above him, Malekith could at last unleash the Aether, unlike the other infinity stones this one was no stone at all, it was ever changing," this all began to frighten you, you turned to your father and  used your tiny hands to grip onto his shirt and buried your face in between his shoulder and neck, thinking that if you hid yourself from the story, tho horrors could not reach you. "but Asgard ripped the weapon from his grasp; without it, the Dark Elves fell. With the battle all but lost, Malekith sacrificed his own people in a desperate attempt to end Asgard's army. Malekith was vanquished and the Aether was no more." Odin finished his story, but you were still terrified and continued to cling to Loki.

"Are you alright darling?" Loki asked you softly, but you still jumped at the sound of his voice. He tried to calm you but instead you jumped out of his lap and ran over to Frigga, who seemed to have the most light surrounding her, you wanted to stay out of the dark at all coasts.

"What's wrong child?" She asked you calmly, though she was actually quite worried with your behavior.

You looked up had her with tears streaming down your face, her heart broke at the sight and Loki stood now even more concerned, slowly making his way towards the two of you. "What if all the Dark Elves aren't gone? What if they're just hiding and we can't find them? What if they come back?" You asked frantically as the tears continued to fall.

Odin now began to make is way toward the two of you as well as him, and Loki kneeled beside you and your grandmother. But just as they were about to speak, Thor had entered the room. You quickly crawled out of Frigga's lap and ran straight to Thor, who instantly lifted you and held you on his hip. What better place to find light than Thor, the one who can summon lightning and thunder with just his hammer. "What's the matter little one?" Thor asked once he finally noticed your tears and began to wipe them away for you.

"Y/n, the Dark Elves are gone." Odin began as he made his way towards you and Thor as Loki and Frigga followed closely behind him. "My father and his army finished them, there is nothing to worry about child." He told you, trying to be as comforting as possible. He didn't mean to scare you with the story, but it was Asgardian history, and it was something that you needed to know.

"What about the Aether?" You managed to ask between your heavy sobs, "you told me infinity stones couldn't be destroyed! How can it really be gone? If that isn't gone then maybe they aren't either." You continued. You looked around the room and saw how dark it was getting outside, how dark the corners of the room were disappearing inside of that darkness, even the shadows of your family members scared you at this point. You wanted nothing to do with the darkness. "If they come back they'll try to make the universe dark again, what if they succeed this time?" You asked through your tears, now reaching out for your father once Thor wasn't enough comfort for you anymore.

"Darling, there won't be a next time. Heimdall would have seen them by now if they still existed, as well as the Aether." Loki began to tell you as he wiped your new tears away. Once he was satisfied he pulled your head to rest on his chest as he swayed the two of you lightly from side to side, trying and calm you while lightly brushing through your hair. "The darkness will not come princess, your grandfather was just explaining Asgardian history to you."