Chapter 8

"You are in a city that never sleeps. I know just the place." I start the car and it roars to life, the radio blares on to the last song I was listening to something about shooting a sancho down. "Sorry" I say.

"Don't be I love Sublime!" She says humming along.

"How was your date? I ask.

"What date?"

"With Johnny." I laugh.

"Oh god it wasn't a date!" She says with a cute pout.

The song changes to my favorite song Sorrow and to my surprise she is singing along to the song. I give her a high five the electricity between us is very evident. She blushes and I look way trying to hide my own blushing. We are in an industrial area as I pull over and turn the car off. I get down and go around the back of the car and open her door for her to get out.

"The restaurant is here?" She asks.

"Yeah, looks can be deceiving my Abuelo used to bring us here all the time." I smile at her and she smiles back at me and it makes my heart flutter a bit. We head in and she looks around in awe. The décor of the restaurant is golds and reds and it stunning. 'It's awesome, right?" I ask her.

'Oh my gosh this place is amazing I absolutely love it! Thanks for bringing me here!"

"My pleasure." I notice Mr. Rala folding napkins. He sees us and smiles.

"Hello my friend." Mr Rala says. He walks over to us and shakes my hand. "Back so soon and ohh with a beautiful guest!" My face is feeling hot all I could do was laugh.

" Hello Mr. Rala, this is Ayana."

"Hello Miss Ayana, welcome to Joya. I hope that you like here."

"Thank you Mr. Rala." Ayana says with a huge smile.

I lead her over to my regular booth my hand is on the small of her back as I guide her to it. My breath is quick and I am very nervous. Mr. Rala's wife brings us menus. I smile at Ayana's reaction to the menu items.

"Remember this yellow is mild, red is spicy and green is HOT AS HELL." I smile.

"What do you recommend?" She asks unsure.

"For first timer try the yellow curry chicken." I say.

Mrs. Rala comes and takes our orders and she brings free Roti bread and places it on the table in front of us.

"Thank you Mrs. Rala" She just smiles and walks away.

"What is that." Ayana says pointing to the bread. I laugh at her uncertainty.

'Think of it like a thai tortilla. You pull pieces off and dip it in this sauce." I say pointing to the sauce in a small dish.

"You ordered duck?" Ayana asks confused.

"Yes it's good!" I laugh. "I'll let you try some." I watch her as she tries the roti bread.

"Wow that is good!" She says surprised.

"Glad you like it."

We sit in silence for a while and wait for our food but it does not feel awkward. I decide to break the ice and say something.

"How do you know Kaylee?" I ask.

"We met when we roomed in college." Ayana answers me.

"Where are you from originally?

"Northern California, I am a Bay girl through and through."

"Yeah you have a Nor-Cal accent." I tease. She belly laughs and smiles at me.