Chapter 3

The Funeral was very short and to a ten year old very boring. We sit towards the back with our Abuelos because Julia did not let us sit with the family. Mommy was happy that she got to properly say goodbye to Daddy. I am glad that we had the Abuelos too they were very supportive of us. I can feel they really care what happens to us.

That summer we moved in with Tia Mari in her one bedroom apartment in Queens. This was really hard for Jack and I because we are used to having our own space if we would get upset with each other we could go to our own rooms to get the space we needed. Here we can't get away from each other. It is taking a toll on Mommy. She is used being the woman of the house. Now there are two of them and sometimes they argue about the dumbest things. Abuelo was trying to get our house back for us but it seemed like a battle that we would not win.

Abuelo paid for a summer theater program for me all I had to do was see a therapist once a week which I hated with a passion but I loved the theater class so much I did what I had to do. He also paid for Jack to take writing classes because he had a great talent in writing stories. He also introduced Jack to his love of wanting to become a lawyer. When school was going to start he wanted to pay for a semi-private school that focused on the arts when Mommy agreed I was over the moon happy.

Every Wednesday like clockwork we would have dinner all the grandchildren and the Abuelos and on occasion Mommy would join us too. We took turns picking where to eat mostly burgers and stuff like that once in a while they would make us pick something else like Thai food and Sushi which we all learned to love. We slowly got to know the other kids. Jack and Jesse became close very quickly because they were closer in age and they would go to parties together. Julia did not like us at all but Mommy embraced all of the kids especially Ava because she was the only girl and they loved her a lot too. Which Julia hated even more and Mommy loved that more than she should have. Mommy kept telling me to be more open with the other kids but it's hard for me.

Before summer was over Abuelo did what he promised! He got our Manhattan house back and what's more Mommy, Jack and I got money from Daddy's estate, put it this way if I never wanted to work I did not have to, but I rather have Daddy than money. My acting classes paid off I got cast in my first commercial for a cool water gun that I got to keep. I loved my new school and we made a ton of new friends, I met a new boy in my acting class his name is Johnny, Mommy does not like him and says he is a bad influence, I think she may be right but he is my friend.

"Ok Riley when I count to three you will wake up and remember everything that you just said to me about your father's death." A voice says. I open my eyes and see my therapist Dr. Luke. "Wow Riley that was great can we finish up tomorrow?"

"Sure. Same time?" I say to him.

"Yes same time. Riley I am proud of your progress." Dr. Luke says.

"Thanks, me too." I say.

"What are your plans for the rest of your day?" he asks.

"Well first things first get food I am starving, a haircut for a photo shoot this week and relax after that." I say.

"That sounds great, what are you planning on eating?

"Not sure, just going to see what happens." I laugh.

"See you tomorrow Riley." He says.

I walk out and boy it's hot out, glad that I wore shorts today. My phone rings.

"Hello." I say.

"Riley, how did it go?" Jack asks.

"Jack it really worked I talked about Dad's death and how I felt." I tell him.

"Really, you did?"

"Yeah, weird huh?"

"Yes I am glad that you are able to talk about it,. Hey I'm calling because Kaylee wanted me to remind you of the party for friend tomorrow night." Jack says.

"Man I just wanted to stay at home tomorrow night." I whine.

"You promised! Kaylee is gonna kill me if you do not come."

"All Right, All Right, what time again?"

"Be at the house at 7." Jack says.

"Ok bro, I am about to walk into Joya to grab some food talk to you later."

I walk into Joya and Mr Rala sees me and walks over and hugs me.

"The usual Riley?"

"Yes Mr. Rala ." I say with a laugh. " Oh and a Singha beer please."

"Sure thing Riley!"

I finish up my food and get a text from Johnny

Johnny: You going to Jack's party?

Me: Yeah-you.

Johnny: Yup, hope Kaylee's friend is hot.

Me: Oh God see you tomorrow Johnny.

I go to get my hair cut. The girl that my agency hired to cut my hair is looking in the mirror and looking at my hair, eyes and skin. I already know that she is going to do next she is going to ask questions about my appearance because my skin is darker in color, my hair is very light and my eyes are super blue.

"Riley, Can I ask you a question"? I knew it I think here we go.

"Sure" I say.

"Well questions, Do you wear contacts? Do you tan? Do you dye your hair blond?"She says this all in one breath and I laugh.

"I wear clear contacts. I'm blind as a bat. I do not tan this is my natural color tanning causes cancer. I have never dyed my hair in my life I am naturally blond." She looks at me in disbelief. "What?" I ask her.

"I think your eye color is fake." She says which makes me laugh harder.

"I'll prove it" I go to the sink and wash my hands and take out my clear contacts and show her that they are really real.

"Wow!" she says. I put my contacts back on and leave her with her jaw on the floor.

I go home and just watch mind numbing reality TV about weight loss, People eating toilet paper and little women. I fall asleep on the couch. I wake up and check the clock I have half an hour to get to my appointment. I am nervous about this one.

I get to his office and the front desk girl fawns over me, I hate when girls do that it makes me feel very uncomfortable. I sit and wait.

"Riley are you ready?" he asks.

"As ready as I'll ever be but I am ready." I stand up and walk in his office. I lay on the couch and look up at the ceiling fan.

" Riley just breath normally, close your eyes I will count to three. One, two, three." I being to drift away.