卌 t h i r t y - s e v e n 卌

Get this chapter to 55 votes for the next one!

•••

I pushed open the door and led Courtney inside the room. She gasped loudly at the sight of Ashton's elevated leg.

He looked up at us, a cup of pudding in his hands. "Oh, hey guys," he spoke, his mouth full of pudding. "What's up?"

Courtney ran to his side. "Your leg!"

Ashton shrugged. "Yeah," he sighed.

"What are we going to do about the show?" I blurted.

Ashton looked at me. "I don't know."

Courtney stared. "Can't you guys just reschedule?"

I sighed. "We can- but that wouldn't just upset our fans, but that makes us lose money because arenas don't give refunds, and we'd have to pay again for another night."

"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but right now that looks like your only choice."

An awkward silence grew in the room.

The door behind me opened, making me jump. Dr. Tré strolled in, a small clipboard in his hands.

Ashton shot up in his bed. "Please let me do the show!"

"What?" Dr. Tré asked, confused.

"Can I please do the show?" Ashton asked.

"What show?"

"The one I told you about," I told him.

"Oh, that's today, right." He sighed and rubbed his blue eyes. "Look, I'm sorry, I don't think so-"

"-Just the one show! Just one! Uno!" Ashton begged.

"Look, if you can play the drums without a bass drum then fine, but otherwise no."

Ashton's jaw dropped. "The bass drum is one of the most important parts of a drum kit! I can't just not play the bass drum!"

An idea popped into my head. "Ashton, you old drum teacher used to make you learn how to play left handed and right handed right?"

He nodded.

"If you can leave the hospital now, then we can go set up your kit like a lefty."

Ashton's face filled with uneasiness. "I don't know, Calum, I haven't played that way in years."

"Okay, well it's 10 am. The sound check isn't until one. We can practice all of our songs until you're ready."

Dr. Tré looked at me. "What's playing drums left handed?"

"Most people play right handed, where their right foot is hitting the bass drum and their right hand keeps time on the high-hat. Other drummers, who want to play left hands swap the whole kit around so that their left foot and left hands are the ones on the bass drum and high-hat." Ashton explained.
(A/N if that didn't make sense there's a diagram at the end of the chapter)

"So your right foot would be in control of the high-hat pedal?"

Ashton nodded. "And even better, we can keep it on a closed setting so my foot won't be doing much."

Dr. Tré nodded. "Alright, if you can do that, then you can do the show."

"Really?" The three of asked.

Dr. Tré nodded. "I'm just going to make sure everything's clear for you to leave." He smiled and left the room.

After a couple of minutes Dr. Tré came back into the room with a lady nurse holding some crutches.

They made sure Ashton could use them and actually had him try to walk with them and then we were good to go.

After a couple of tries, Ashton was successfully able to wobble down the hallway with his crutches.

After leaving the hospital, I caught a taxi and we headed back to the venue.

When we arrived, multiple roadies ran to our aid- well, Ashton's aid.

"Alright, we need to set up Ashton's drum set backwards." I told everyone.

"Backwards?" Someone from the group blurted.

"Yup, it's the only way I'll be able to play the show." Ashton noted. "Let's get to work."

////

Wow I took FOR FREAKING EVER TO UPDATE!

Apologies.

Question: have you ever broken a bone??

^ I've broken my right wrist when I was 11 years old in a soccer game. But
I'm left handed so it didn't affect my academic work or anything (sadly)

ALSO IM ON THANKSGIVING BREAK ALL WEEK SO BE EXPECTING SOME SNAZZY UPDATES MY DOODS.

Last thing! I'm writing s'more books (bc yay) one's an AI fanfic called "Wanted" and one's not a fanfiction but a short love story called "Count Down". TELL ME WHEN I SHOULD POST THEM!

So this is how Ashton sets up his drum kit

So this is how Ashton sets up his drum kit. (Above)

This is how he will be setting it up for the show

Sorry it's backwards but it was the best I can do.

Ily all so freaking much! Xx

If you see any typos or errors please message me!

Don't be a silent reader!

////