卌 t w e n t y - n i n e 卌

I looked up as I heard the doorbell ring.

"Calum can you get that?" I called out.

"Ashton I'm in the bathroom you get it!" He called back.

I sighed, and stopped my music. I was playing along to Green Day's Basket Case on my electronic drumkit.

I hopped downstairs and opened the door, behind pleasantly surprised.

"Courtney," I smiled.

"Hi," she beamed. "Can I come in?"

"Of course," I said, pulling the door open a little wider. Her ombré curls bounced happily as she marched inside.

"So, tomorrow." She said, plopping down onto our black couch.

"Tomorrow," I repeated, exhaling. Tomorrow the boys and I head to Australia. "Do you have a choice?"

She seemed uneasy, but nodded. "Yes."

The door unlocked from down the hall and Calum strolled out on the wooden floor. His face brightened when he noticed Courtney. "Oh, hey, Courtney." He smiled.

"Hi," she greeted.

I looked at her. "Why don't you stay for dinner? Michael and Luke are at Panda Express so Cal and I were probably just going to order a pizza."

She nodded. "That sounds nice."

"Hey, you two haven't spoken much since laser tag, right? Well, you two catch up for a bit, I'm going to finish playing along with a song in my room. I'll be back in a bit."

I strolled upstairs and headed to my room- but I didn't go inside. I closed the door from the outside so it sounded like I had left and I peeked over the railing to see Courtney and Calum.

Calum plopped onto the same couch as her.

"How have you been, Lightning?" He chuckled.

"Not too bad, Thunder," she smiled, turning to face him. "And yourself?"

"Pretty good," he smiled.

Courtney thought for a second. "Hey, can I ask you something?"

Calum nodded. "What's up?"

"So, I'm not sure if Ashton told you, but he invited me to Australia with you guys."

Calum nodded. "Yeah, he checked with us first before he asked you."

"Well, I've made my decision."

Calum leaned up from his relaxed position and crossed his legs. "What is it?"

She took I deep breath. "I can't go. I just can't, and I feel really bad about it, but I can't abandon my classes, because even if I don't like them, it's what I was working for, for such a long time."

Calum's face softened a bit. "Yeah, I understand."

"How do I tell Ashton?"

He looked back up at Courtney, and I could tell his face was hurt. "Um, I'm not really sure. I would just say it."

She nodded. "Do you think he'll be mad?"

Calum shook his head quickly. "No, he'll understand."

She nodded. Silence fell between the two of them and I knew things were about to get awkward, so I opened my door again and ran down the stairs.

"Who's ready for pizza?" I called.

The two stood up quickly, both nodding.

"Who calls?" I asked.