You Set Me Free

You Set Me Free

Draco sat outside in the waiting room tapping his foot on the ground impenitently while throwing half hearted smiles at the mugles around him. It was hard for him not knowing how to act, if this was a while back he would have pulled out his wand and cursed all mugles that came his way but now he had to learn to act differently.

Hermione had been gone for almost three hours now and Malfoy would have gone with her if it weren't for the fact that he knew she needed time to say goodbye alone with her mother.

So he allowed them time together as a family.

"Are you ok?" An elderly man asked taking a seat next to Malfoy. "Is it a family member?"

"No...I'm here with a friend of mine." Malfoy muttered looking from the man to the clock. "Is this place always filled with sickness?"

"Thats the whole point of it. It's where the sick go." Malfoy wrinkled his noise, how could people live with so much sickness? At one point he had even reached for his wand not able to watch a little girl crying out he pain, he wanted to spit the spell that would cure her but fought the urge knowing he couldn't do anything about it. It wasn't his place.

"Does it always hurt?" Malfoy asked thinking of Hermione and her mother. He suddenly felt a rise of protectivness, he didn't want her to see her mother in pain. Not like that.

"Well it depends what's wrong with the person." The old man informed Malfoy before bursting into a fit of coughing. Malfoy patted his hand on the old mans back as he had seen another person do and waited until he was seating back taking in gasps of oxygen. "Thank you."

Malfoy sat stunned, a mugle had never said thank you to him before.

"Your welcome." He whispered smiling weakly. All this time he had hated people who were never a threat...who were showing him the kindness that not even his father ever showed. "Whats wrong with you?"

Malfoy had turned in his seat to face the stranger curious as to what this man was dealing with but the answer he was given had left him paler then you could ever imagine and even as the man had got up to leave, Malfoy felt a strange pain in his heart, he felt it rip apart slightly before looking around the room one last time and for the first time taking in the fact that half these people would never leave this horrible smelling place again. It felt like the war all over again...it felt like he was powerless all over again.

Finally Hermione arrived, her brown whisky eyes drawn down with dried tears, her pale skin had a slight tint of pink to them and her hair bounced around her shoulders as she made her way closer towards Malfoy as he stood to greet her.

"Sorry for leaving you alone for such a long time." She muttered wrapping her purple scarf tightly around her neck.

"It's alright...I met a nice man while you were gone." Malfoy smiled yet Hermione caught the sadness in his eyes.

"What is it?" She asked placing her hand on the bend of his arm.

"How do you do it, come here and see half these people never leave again?" Hermione smiled slightly, her heart jumping at the sight of a new Malfoy coming through. Wrapping her arm in his and leading him out from the hospital, Hermione fought back her tears of her mother and tried to make Malfoy see the light.

"Well you dont really, it hurts but you remember that for every life that is lost a new one is born." Malfoy struggled over this point.

"Well lifes can never be lost and always born."