Worthless Conversations

Hermione braced herself, strength somehow sweeping in and holding her up as Malfoy's hands gently held her arms, the temptation to pull her against him almost overwhelming as he stared down into those chocolate whiskey eyes, those eyes that held that crimson red flow of blood that pulsed harder when he was near. Hermione didn't understand the tension between them, she didn't want too but she didn't want it to leave either. She wanted those words to stay on his lips. She wanted him to say something more also but would he? Did he really feel it?

"Malfoy...what are you-"

"We'll find another way." He whispered, cutting her off as he placed his large warm hand against her cheek, his thumb stroking the delicate skin by the corner of her lips. Hermione reached her hand up to cover his, her fingers sending small sparks up his skin as she brought his hand down to her chest, holding it against her heart. She wanted to reach up, to kiss Malfoy right there but there was something holding her back. It was that look in his eyes. A second ago, she saw a doorway, a glimpse of venerability with no act put up but now, those ice grey eyes were back and even though his voice betrayed them, she could no longer read him. She doubted everything again. Why was he so afraid to let her in? Hermione wanted him to come clean, for the last time...Hermione just wanted to know where this all was heading. "We'll figure this all out and when we do, I'll make sure to ruin whoever did this."

The sincerity in his voice made Hermione smile weakly. The heat seemed to hit them straight in the chest.

Hermione's knees buckling as she felt the need to have him, to touch him and Malfoy's eyes glued to her perfect plump lips, his hands aching to feel her.

This sudden turn scared Hermione. Was this how her life would be now? Every second they got close, to want to jump his bones? The thought of them growing up too quickly raced in her mind but surely it was too late for that, after all they had been through, Draco Malfoy was simply the benefits, that extra half that had been missing all this time. Now, Hermione Granger believed she knew what it felt to truly live, to truly live in the arms of a Slytherin.

Malfoy could feel the swirl of emotions slide down into his core, the burning sensation of lust erupt through his chest as his tongue brushed his bottom lip. He didn't know whether he could hold back, staring down at her and the way her body seemed so alive by the touch of his hand, the way her lips automatically opened when her eyes rested against his own. She was craving him and she was driving him wild without even really doing anything. It had Malfoy set on edge, his free hand grasping her arm tighter and the moan that left her lips had his jaw clenching.

But Hermione knew now was not the time for them both to get wrapped up in lust. She had to other worries of who attacked her, worries of how to figure out who it was and why they aimed it at her, why did they want her dead?

The intensity in his eyes had hers lingering away as she slowly lowered her head and breathed, "This . . . It's not going to ever stop is it?"

Malfoy reached over, his fingers tucking gently under her chin and raising those watered chocolate eyes up to meet his. For a second she thought she could see pure anger radiating around those icicles she'd grown to see warmth in but just like that it was gone and his face was etched in stone.

"I will make it stop." Hermione was taken aback. His response still shocking her no matter what had happened between them. She had never heard such determination in his voice before, she'd never seen him shake with anger at the thought of her in harm but then again, she'd never thought that Draco Malfoy would save her life. Yet there was still that little voice inside her, the one that whispered after every beat of her heart, 'maybe he is the only one who can save you.'

"I never thanked you for saving my life." Hermione muttered as her tears dried and the corner of her lips twitched.

Malfoys eyes widened for a moment, his guard down and Hermione took the short lived opportunity to search his eyes. He looked lost, frightened like a little boy misguided and alone.