Chapter 15 - Confronting Vader

Lieutenant Piett led Lady Quemé to the terrace that overlooked the lake. The moon danced upon the marble, obscured only by the dark shadow of the Sith Lord. His black clothing and armor swallowed its rays completely. The lieutenant hurried inside before his superior noticed him.

The large man in black did not turn from gazing out at the lake in the moonlight.

Quemé crossed to the railing and stood beside the man. "Lord Vader." She curtsied in respect.

The Sith Lord turned quickly, his breathing heavy. "I asked not to be dist—" Vader broke off his tirade as he looked into the woman's large brown eyes, the only feature he could distinguish of the woman. His mind imagined brown, curly hair framing the woman's face, but he broke off that thought, not wanting to torture himself. "What is it?"

"Why do you always look at me that way, my lord?"

"You remind me of someone I once knew. A ghost." Just a ghost. Leave me alone. Let me mourn her. "Is there some purpose to this . . ." Vader trailed off. "No . . . that's impossible."

"What, my lord?"

"Remove your veil."

"My lord?"

"Take it off, woman, or I will tear it off." Vader leaned over her.

With trembling hands, Quemé unhooked her veil. 

"That's impossible. Are you a spy sent by the Emperor? Are you going to deliver the boy to him?" Vader stretched out his hand sending the Force to strangle the woman's neck. "I won't let you have him."

Padmé pulled back in fear, clutching her hands to her throat, gurgling. "Please, don't hurt me. Ani, it's me. It's really me. It's your angel."

Vader released his grip, grabbing the woman as she fell.

She clutched at her neck, before pulling out the japur snippet and holding it in front of his lenses. She placed her free hand on his chest so that he could feel her touch.

"I'm sorry. Forgive me, my angel." Am I dreaming? Is this a hallucination sent to torture me? Vader stretched out with the Force, feeling her presence in it. How could I not recognize it after all these years? It is the same as the day we last met.

"How is this possible? The Emperor told me you were dead."

"Master Yoda . . . is truly powerful." She stroked his mask as if it were his face. "I've missed you, Ani. Every day for the last eight years I've missed you. I didn't even know where you were. I looked for you, but all of your records had been erased. It was as if you had never existed." Padmé ran her fingers over his mask and his arms.

"How long have you known?" Vader's vocalizer purred. His body relaxed as he held his wife.

"Only minutes. Luke and I were having a bedtime chat. I asked him what his mother's name was. I came to find you as soon as I knew. Oh, Ani." She buried her head in his chest, laying it against the hard armor.

"You know his name? Is he safe?"

Padmé nodded with clenched lips. "I overheard him you call 'Daddy' back in Theed."

"Who told you his name?"

"No one. I named him, Anakin. Of course I know his name." Padmé winked at him. "I never thought I would ever see him again after they took him into hiding. I never thought I would see you again."