Chapter 36 - Kisses and Foolishness

Luke and Leia had spend the day of hyperspace travel in boredom. Both were confined to their own quarters. Leia's father shadowed Anakin like a mynock. Luke's mother insisted on remaining with Anakin as well—to save his life and his soul.

Anakin had requested Master Yoda's input as the Rebels and the Imperials reworked their plan together. Everyone was on edge, as there was no way to contact either the Rebels or the Mandalorians while they were traveling through hyperspace.

Before his parents left in the morning, Luke asked, "Can me and Leia stay in here together? It's no fun when we're in different rooms. Please?" He widened his big, blue eyes and stuck out his lower lip.

Anakin turned at the main hatch, his helmet in his hand. He raised his eye ridges at his wife in question with a tiny smile.

Padmé knelt down, grasping Luke's shoulders. "Luke . . ."

Luke nodded. "I miss her, Mommy."

"Well . . ." Padmé glanced at Anakin with her eyebrows raised and mouth open in question.

"I'll talk to Bail. If he agrees, we'll leave Artoo with you." He pointed his finger at Luke, "But I want no misbehavior. Am I clear?"

"Yes, Daddy. Thank you, Daddy." Luke's eyes brightened as his wide smile exploded across his face. The boy ran over to his father and grabbed him by the leg in a hug.

Anakin beamed at the little boy and ruffled his son's sandy hair with his gloved hand.

Padmé crossed to Anakin, wrapping her right arm around his waist and placing her left hand on Luke's shoulder.

The boy said with a catch in his voice, "I just wish . . . that we could all be a family again."

Padmé sighed as she ran her fingers through her son's hair and nestled her head into Anakin's chest armor. Her husband positioned his helmet on his head, his regulated breathing masking the pain Luke felt through the Force. 

Telling Luke that Leia was his sister may have been the wrong decision. Leia could never know.

When Bail heard that R2 would watch over the children, he repented his decision to keep them separated

When Bail heard that R2 would watch over the children, he repented his decision to keep them separated. Leia's misery had eaten away at him these past two days, wearing down his resolve.

At least he could trust the droid to keep them under control. There were too many places on a star destroyer those two could get into trouble.

So, Leia found herself with Luke, in Darth Vader's quarters, playing with paper fighters created from recycled food wrappers. The tiny princess chased him around both rooms in the suite, with R2 right behind them beeping and chirping.

They climbed on top of the furniture, jumping off and rolling to the ground in sequence. It was like they both knew what they wanted to do before they did it.