Chapter 4 - The Beast

Vader marched from the troop transport as the loading ramp lowered

Vader marched from the troop transport as the loading ramp lowered. His shuttle had already launched with the injured boy before the dark lord could join him. The last few moments on the transport stretched all his patience.

Lieutenant Piett approached him in the docking bay aboard the Super Star Destroyer Executor. From all outward appearances, he resembled one of the many boot-licking Coruscanti officers that dominated the Imperial fleet. Tall and fit with an air of competency, his short brown hair cut to regulations, his face molded to an emotionless canvas, Piett met or exceeded the ideal standards of an Imperial officer.

To rise in the ranks, each officer had to sell his soul and work deals with the Imperial Senators to obtain a commission. With such a selection process , a menagerie of fawning sycophants swelled the cadre. But there were a few talented officers, still. Many had already risen in ranks: Tarkin, Thrawn, Krennic. But this man Piett would exceed them all once he matured and given the right opportunities.

Very early in his career, Piett had learned how best to avoid Lord Vader's wrath, and that was never to report bad news as bad news. With his exact attention to this policy, Vader hoped the man would survive long enough to reach admiral.

"Lord Vader." The lieutenant tipped his head in a slight bow as required by Imperial protocol.

"What is it, Lieutenant?" Vader turned to the officer on his left.

"The boy." Sweat glistened on the man's forehead at the brim of his cap. "He has no identity."

"What do you mean? He must be in the Imperial databases." Vader towered over the man, causing him to shrink back.

The lieutenant pressed his datapad and then swiped a few times. He held the datapad to the Sith Lord. "There is no record of his birth. However, we have determined his parentage based on his DNA sample-"

Vader turned on Piett, waving the datapad away from his face. "Destroy those records, Lieutenant. No one else is to know who he is."

Piett swallowed. A nervous tick began near his eye. "Yes, my lord."

Vader strode off, leaving his attaché in his wake.