Chapter 35 - Prelude to War

Obi-Wan gazed at the silver stars sprinkled on the black canvas of space. The vast bridge viewport of the Venator-class Mandalorian warship Hodayc Verd provided an unobstructed view for thirty meters from side-to-side.

Obi-Wan could handle the darkness of space. This was calm. There was very little risk to sub-light space travel in wide-open space. His eyes darted around the command console as he reminisced about the Clone War on a bridge similar to this one.

While of contemporary construction, the ship's design hearkened back to the days of the Old Republic, at least a thousand years before. It was very similar to the Jedi cruisers used in the Clone War and the Victory-class Imperial star destroyers of today.

The triangular shape provided maneuverability in tight locations. Its weaponry included cannons, lasers, and sonic charges.

When Captain Rex's image appeared on the holocomm device behind Obi-Wan, the Jedi turned and addressed the man. "What's the status, Rex?"

"All systems are go. We are awaiting your signal to jump to lightspeed."

"All right." Obi-Wan punched a few buttons on the console. "Waiting for a response from the Alliance." A few seconds later, a text transmission displayed on Obi-Wan's wrist communicator. "It's a go. All ships, jump to lightspeed on my mark. Three, two, one, mark!"

The twinkling stars transformed into streaks of blue light before settling into the geometric planes of hyperspace.

The general activated the ship's intercom. "Minimal crew rotations while we are in hyperspace for the next two days. All troops be ready to fight upon entry into the system."

Some would take that announcement to mean rest and relaxation, but the sergeants and captains would make sure physical conditioning as well as briefings on the upcoming missiontook place.

Kenobi kept his head lowered to avoid seeing the hyperspace distortion through the starboard-side corridor viewports as he exited the bridge. He collided with a figure heading toward him. 

"Forgive me, please," he said, not looking up, gulping the bile that churned in his stomach even now. He wondered if everyone on board knew how much space travel made him uneasy. Obi-Wan waited for the figure to pass by him for many silent moments.

"I do," a velvety voice murmured.

Obi-Wan involuntarily jerked his head up at that voice, locking his eyes onto the owner. His breathing increased when he saw her, the second time in as many days. His lips opened, wanting to say something to this woman.

After a long silence, she tried to push past him. "Obi-Wan, I'm sorry."

He reached out his hand in a bold move, blocking her way. "Satine, I don't understand. Maul . . . You were dead. I held you. You were dead."

"Med droids revived me, but it took years to recover. When I came out, the clans were in an uproar, all fighting for the throne. I tried to find you. You were gone. Some said you were dead."

Kenobi looked at his feet. "The Rebellion. I was protecting someone. In hiding." He dared to raise his eyes to her, fighting the nausea hyperspace caused. 

The former duchess tilted her head and looked at her old friend. The years had been hard on the man. The Clones Wars, the Empire, losing his best friend to the dark side. It had all taken a toll on him. 

She said, "I never forgot you. I never forgot what you said. I only regretted that our duties got in the way." 

She moved closer to him, bringing herself within inches of the man, the Jedi Master. "And I'm not going to live the rest of my life with regrets." She reached forward quickly and pulled Obi-Wan's head to hers, pressing her lips to his with tenderness.