Chapter 5 - Bureaucrats and Starpilots

Beru Lars waited at the Imperial Headquarters in Mos Eisley. After selling her hydroponic produce at the Rodian grocer, she had woven her way through the dangerous city.

Fewer stormtroopers, fewer landspeeders, and fewer people in the streets today. The city cowered under martial law. Citizens hurried from alcove to alcove, keeping their faces covered with their cloaks. No one wanted to attract unnecessary Imperial attention after the massacre.

The news had even spread to Anchorhead. All of the Tusken Raiders had been rooted out and slaughtered like animals, under the decree of Darth Vader.

Life had been hard under the Hutts. Now, life was uncertain. No one knew what would happen if the planet created any more problems for the Sith Lord. Everyone worried whether the Empire would order the planet razed. 

Beru worried that the same Sith Lord who had ordered this massacre had also taken Luke. It had been eight days since Empire Day, eight days of worry and little sleep.

After queueing for two hours, she finally reached a bureaucrat at a desk in the basement of the building.

"State your name and your business."

"Beru Lars, inquiring about my nephew who was taken into custody a few days ago." She took a credit chip out of her utility bag and pressed it into the man's hands. 

The clerk palmed the bribe with a grin. "Imperial policy does permit visitors to prisoners, ma'am."

Beru leaned on the desk, her brow furrowed with worry. "He's not a prisoner. He was injured. Lord Vader called in a medical crew and took the boy to his ship. Look, I just want to know if my nephew is alive or dead."

The clerk looked up at Beru, irritated. "What is his name?"

"Luke. Luke Skywalker." Beru whispered the last name.

"Skywalker. Skywalker. Any relation to the Clone Wars General?" The clerk typed the name into his data console.

"I'm not sure." She had vowed after Luke was taken that she would do anything to save his life, including lie or steal. She hoped she would not have to kill, but she had not ruled out that possibility.

"Well, I don't have any record of a Luke Skywalker. Is it possible he had a different name at birth?"

Beru wrung her fingers, glancing around the room for eavesdroppers. "No, that's his name. Can you check under Luke Lars? The census clerk may have been confused, since our last name is different." 

The clerk wiped the sweat off his brow. "I'm sorry, ma'am. It appears this boy doesn't exist."

Beru stumbled back, letting those words sink in. She had heard him just the night before in her dreams, calling her. It was so real. He must be alive.

Beru dared to ask one more question. "How do I communicate with Lord Vader?"

"Lord Vader does not communicate with civilians, ma'am."

"Then tell me which officer could send him a message for me."

The clerk pushed a button under his counter. "Ma'am, I'm going to have to ask you to leave. I'm sorry about your nephew, but there's nothing I can do."

Beru turned to see two stormtroopers behind her, aiming their blasters at her. The woman grabbed her bag and turned to exit. "You have not heard the last of this. When Lord Vader finds out that you prevented me from communicating with him, I will be sure to mention your name."

The stormtroopers pushed her out the door onto the street and into the suffocating heat of Mos Eisley.