Chapter 34 - Short, Blond, and Cute

An hour later after Luke's own trip to the refresher, both of the kids slept without a care in the galaxy.

Padmé could tell by the way Anakin was moving that he was still wide awake. She rolled over in bed, trying not to disturb Leia, and touched his arm.

Anakin rolled over, almost nudging Luke onto the floor in the process. Fortunately, the boy did not feel a thing when Ani caught him in mid-air and settled him back on the bed.

She whispered, "Ani, what are we going to do?"

"I don't know. We can't send them back to Alderaan on their own . . . and I can't spare any men from the operation." He ran his hand down his wife's arm.

"How about your destroyer? Is there a safe place they could hide there?"

"Perhaps, but if they get boarded or the vessel is destroyed . . ."

She closed her eyes and clenched her teeth at the thought. "Well, how about after?"

"After what? The operation?"

Padmé nodded.

Anakin refused to answer, his eyes hardened.

She asked, "You don't expect us to win, do you?"

"I never said that."

She reached up to face, holding his jaw. "I can see it in your eyes, Anakin."

"Whatever happens to me, Padmé, don't let Sidious take the children. Kill them if you must."

"I can't do that, Anakin, so you'd better take care of Sidious." She turned her back to his chest, nestling her head in his shoulder. "What if we win? What then?"

"You go back to Naboo? I come with you with Luke—"

"Do you really think we can separate the twins now, Ani? We've seen what Luke is capable of. He would sneak off on the first freighter he could find and race back to Alderaan to be with Leia."

"I'd be tempted to do the same thing." Anakin buried his nose in his wife's hair, inhaling the flowery fragrance. "This is such a mess. And then the re-establishment of the Republic isn't going to be easy. You'll be busy with that . . ."

She grabbed his left hand and traced his fingers. "No. Ani, I decided on our last night on Naboo . . . I'm leaving politics, for good. I want to be with you—wherever you are—and I don't want anything to come between us, including duty."

He whispered, "I'm resigning, too. I've spent too many years fighting someone else's war so that one day I could be at peace. Until these last few weeks, I'd even forgotten what peace is."

Padmé pulled his hand up to her mouth and kissed his fingers. "I love you, Ani."

"