Chapter 38 - The Battle Begins

As two Lambda-class Imperial shuttles and twelve troop transport shuttles dropped from the Executor and the Devastator, TIE fighters from Tarkin's fleet zoomed out of their destroyers like a swarm of Bahl flies devouring Troos crebiks. Two squadrons of Vader's TIE fighters escorted each shuttle and transport. The remaining complement intercepted Tarkin's fighters.

Anakin maneuvered his shuttle with the finesse only a Jedi could replicate. The passengers tossed against their restraining straps. Bail Organa turned green during the turbulent fight, and a few of the stormtroopers in the main cabin lost their lunches on the deck.

"Anakin, another coming in from behind." Padmé grabbed his arm.

"I see them. Hang on back there. We're going to hit the landing pad hard." Anakin spun the ship in a barrel roll, evading the TIE behind him. During the maneuver, he lost control as the shuttle spun in a flat spin toward the spires of Coruscant.

"Anakin! Pull up! Pull up!" Obi-Wan's voice came over the intercom.

Yoda unbuckled his straps and propelled himself to Anakin, landing on the console. He grabbed Anakin's right hand and nodded to him. Releasing the shuttle controls, Master Yoda and Anakin reached out with the Force, grabbing the shuttle. 

Beads of perspiration formed on their faces as they pulled the shuttle together into control. Just as the shuttle was about to crash into an apartment tower, it jerked away and crashed hard on a landing platform about a hundred meters from the Imperial Palace.

Obi-Wan and Ahsoka's shuttle landed beside Anakin's, with each troop transport landing in sequence behind them. TIE fighters zoomed through the canyons of the city, shooting at the landing craft and each other. The combined Rebel forces scattered for cover, making their way slowly to the looming structure that was once the Jedi Temple.

Entire legions of stormtroopers surrounded the Imperial Palace. Tanks rumbled into the square. Anakin asked Obi-Wan, "Think the Mandalorians can bring in some air support here? We're never gonna get past those tanks without it."

Obi-Wan looked above the Coruscant sky as the lights from the electric billboards sputtered. "Here they come now."

As Obi-Wan shouted his reply, Ahsoka sprung forward, leading a squad of Mandalorians with her. "What? Have you two forgotten how to take out a tank?"

With a grimace, Obi-Wan said, "I hate it when she does that."

"Come on." Anakin ignited his saber and raced out.

Yoda followed quickly behind him, jumping through the air and deflecting blaster bolts.

Bail pulled Padmé into an doorway, both holding their blasters ready to defend their positions.

Ahsoka ran through the square with her white blades whizzing through the air. The nimble Togruta leaped atop a tank and tossed a thermal detonator into the upper hatch while Rex hit the lower hatch. They both jumped out of the way, rolling on the ground and knocking stormtroopers off their feet.

Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Yoda followed suit, taking out the other three tanks. Painted Rebel stormtroopers fought against white Imperial stormtroopers, with Mandalorians in their darker armor mingling in the mêlée.

 Painted Rebel stormtroopers fought against white Imperial stormtroopers, with Mandalorians in their darker armor mingling in the mêlée

Admiral Ozzel hunched over the battle display, monitoring the the Death Squadron, the Mandalorians, and the Rebels. The two small squadrons of Imperial star destroyers were gaining an advantage against them.

Tarkin's flagship, the Harrier, had already disabled two of Death Squadron's star destroyers and was starting on a third. "Piett, microjump the Executor to port side of the Harrier at point-blank range. Order all TIEs to concentrate on their deflector shields."

Captain Firmus Piett pursed his thin lips together before objecting. "At that close range, we could jump right into their hull if Tarkin moves so much as a few meters."

Admiral Ozzel stared Piett down and reaffirmed his orders. "Either you will give the command, or I will, Captain. If we cannot take out the Harrier and Grand Moff Tarkin with it, we will lose this battle, not just this ship."

"Yes, Admiral." Piett shuddered and then punched in the codes for the microjump, not even trusting the navigators to the delicate task.

As soon as the Executor emerged from hyperspace, the Harrier's guns blasted her starboard side, sending shockwaves through the ship. The Executor fired back its own barrage. Brilliant light from both ships' laser cannons ignited the space between them.

Admiral Ozzel said, "Helmsman, adjust your course to mark seven zero. Full power to sub-light engines. Starboard guns, continue to fire."

Captain Piett said, "You're a madman! That's going to destroy both ships!"

"Yes, Captain. That was my idea. Perhaps now would be a good time to sound the 'Abandon Ship' alarms," the admiral said as he watched the prow of the Executor turn into the Harrier's port side. Collision alarms blared throughout the ship. Emergency lighting activated, casting an eerie red glow on the bridge.

"We've lost life support in forward compartments. Pressurization lost along the starboard side," one of the duty officers in the starboard pit reported.

Captain Piett sucked in his breath. "Sound the alarms. All hands abandon ship." He straightened his posture, placing his hands behind his back as he waited for the escape pods to release. The acrid smell of melting metal permeated the bridge, as the ventilation system filled with smoke from the burning prow.

When the power cut out entirely on the bridge, Piett murmured, "The children." 

Did you know

Did you know . . . 

● I studied traditional naval warfare from the 18th Century to write this battle. 

Tell me what you think

Tell me what you think . . .

● What do you think Anakin will do when he finds out how Ozzel bungled the battle?