chapter twenty two

dan

The silence is deafening, covering Dan's head like a plastic bag and pulling all the oxygen out of the air he's breathing.

He looks at the boy in front of him and nervously awaits a response, but the boy is wide eyed, his gaze focused not upon Dan but upon the empty space above his head. His expression is unreadable apart from the utter shock written on his features.

"Dan, y-you, your mood," Phil stammers out, looking at the bare space above his head, "or your lack of. Is this good? Why has this happened? I-"

"I-I don't know Phil, b-but I'm happy t-the line is g-gone," Dan replies, smiling softly at Phil and watching as he smiles back.

Phil leans forward and gently presses his lips to Dan's own briefly, before resting their foreheads together. Dan can feel the beat of his heart pick up pace as Phil stares into his eyes at such a close proximity. Phil's fingertips brush slightly against his cheek, causing his skin to heat up under his touch and he feels his breath getting slowly pulled out of his lungs.

"As long as you're happy, I'm happy Dan. I don't care what is above your head, because I can always tell what you're thinking anyway," Phil whispers to him, his hand still resting on his cheek, "and I love you for you, and if that means I have to love every particle of moodless air above your head than I would not hesitate to do just that."

"I-it might t-take a while for y-you to love e-every particle o-of air," Dan says with a laugh, his cheeks tinted a rosy pink from Phil's words and warm affection.

"I would spend all the time in the world giving you my love Dan," Phil declares, wrapping his arms around Dan and pulling him into a tight hug.

Dan smiles to himself, just simply enjoying being inside the arms of a person who loves every inch of him, because that makes the hug somehow feel warmer, safer, more comfortable but even harder to pull away from.

"It's going to be strange, that line was always how I spotted you in a large crowd of busy moods," Phil says, stepping back and giving Dan a cute, lopsided smile, "lucky you're tall so I can spot you that way."

"I-I know," Dan replies, "I-I'm t-taller than you."

"Mmm, but you also have terrible posture so I'm slightly still above you," Phil smirks, straightening his back out a little more so his blue eyes sit an inch above Dan's own.

Dan feels his face flush slightly. It's true, his posture is truly terrible with his shoulders slumped forward and head hanging low - a result from Dan constantly attempting to make himself less visible, to bend and shape himself into a person which others are less likely to focus on. It didn't work, obviously, but old habits die hard so Dan still navigates through crowds in the most unnoticeable way possible.

"Y-you keep dreaming," Dan says, rising up to his own full height and grinning down at Phil, who huffs in annoyance and folds his arms over his chest.

"Giant," Phil mutters.

"Excuse y-you," Dan says, looking at his boyfriend (but Phil hasn't even confirmed this so he isn't completely sure), "I'm j-just the slightly t-taller giant out o-of us both."

"Aw it's okay Dan," Phil teases, patting the other boy gently on his head, flattening his vigorously straightened and hair sprayed fringe, "you're an incredibly cute giant."

Dan narrows his eyes playfully, hitting Phil's hand away from his hair before he completely destroys his thirty minutes of clueless hairstyling from earlier that morning and lets out a large exhale, shaking his head slightly to himself.

"Y-you're actually an i-idiot Phil."

"I know, but you love me anyway," Phil says, grinning widely at Dan.