chapter twenty

/ oh hey I'm still alive lol

nearly Halloween and Australia hardly does Halloween cries /

dan

When Phil releases Dan from the kiss, Dan finds himself blinking stupidly at Phil in an attempt to regain his focus on the world, clear the love scented haze from his brain.

When he doesn't respond, he sees that Phil begins to panic, stepping away from Dan and running the fingers on his right hand through his fringe, a habit which he does when he's nervous. His blue eyes look towards the floor and a blush tints his pale cheeks.

"Dan I'm sorry, I just, I didn't-" Phil begins to gush uncontrollably.

"P-Phil, it's okay," Dan says, reaching out his hand and grabbing Phil's arm, preventing him from stepping further away.

"But I just-"

Dan cuts him off again by leaning forward and pressing his lips gently to Phil's and pulls away, slipping his fingers through Phil's and looking down with a blush on his cheeks.

"I-I think I l-love y-you," Dan says quietly, looking at Phil shyly, who looks both happy and taken aback at Dan's statement.

Dan watches as Phil's eyes become brighter, if that's even humanly possible, the washed out blue irises glistening like the ocean on a sunny day. As Phil processes Dan's words, his face suddenly lights up like a kid who's just been given something they've been wanting for weeks. A heart is now floating above Phil, only small but it makes Dan's real heart swell to double it's normal size.

"Well I know I love you," Phil says, and he pulls Dan close.

Close enough that Dan can hear the steady thud of Phil's heart in his chest, close enough that Dan can smell this distinctly Phil smell, close enough that Dan feels sheltered in his arms, close enough for Dan to feel the happiest he's felt in a long time;

Close enough for Dan to feel his love.

***

"Dan, do you have to go so soon?" Phil asks, pouting as Dan stands up from the floor, where Winston was previously lying on his legs.

"Y-yeah it's almost d-dark," Dan says, reaching down and attempting to brush some of the grey cat fur off his jeans, however it clings onto the material stubbornly.

Winston purrs and nudges his head against Dan's jeans, moving so he rubs more fur onto Dan's pants. Dan glares at the cat and steps away from it, looking back up at Phil.

"Your c-cat is evil," Dan says, crossing his arms over his chest.

"No he loves you, and he wants you to stay, like someone else here," Phil says, smiling hopefully at Dan, his blue eyes wide and pleasing.

"Ph-Phil, stop th-that, I need t-to get home," Dan says, walking towards the door, Phil following him, "I-I'll see you at s-school tomorrow."

"Ugh, fine," Phil complains, dragging the words out in a dreary tone and rolling his eyes as he follows Dan to his front door, the cat at their heels.

"Bye Ph-Phil," Dan says, as the boy pecks him on the lips and pulls him into a hug.

"I love you Dan," Phil calls as Dan is halfway up the driveway.

Why, Dan's mind sneers at him, making it's first appearance in what has been a while, why would anyone sane love you?