chapter ten

// happy 10 years of YouTube to the one and only cinnamon-roll/angel bean/ bun bun who is truly amazing.

Phil, I know it's your ten year YouTube video anniversary but your life is still going to fall apart in this book soz. //

dan

Dan wakes and screws up his nose when he gets the distinct smell of cat breath being projected onto his face.

He turns over subconsciously, only to become face-to-face with a mop of black hair. Dan sits straight up, startled to be in a different room, wearing different clothes but calms down when he sees a bright, blue and green duvet, a small kitten and the sleeping figure of Phil Lester.

Dan rubs his eyes, the grey sleeves of the fox-printed sweater Phil leant him slipping up his arms. Dan look back down at his pillow to see the kitten has woken and it stretches out before climbing over the duvet and onto Dan's lap.

Dan smiles down as he feels the weight momentarily not crash back down onto his shoulders. It's a nice feeling.

Dan picks up the kitten gently, his hands nearly the size of Winston, and places him on the bed beside Phil.

Dan stands up, deciding to stretch his legs a little and go to the bathroom. He closes Phil's bedroom door gently behind him and walks towards the end of the hall but as he passes a door, he hears muffled conversation. Dan pauses briefly.

"I can't keep doing this Ben," Phil's mother says with a sigh.

[i know that's not his brother's name okay. ]

"I know mum, you shouldn't have to. You'll get better though," Ben replies.

Dan freezes, feeling like he should move on but can't seem to move his legs.

"Phil cannot know Ben, we have to protect him."

"I know. Mum, there's something else, he's back in town. He's going to try to see you again. I already saw him. He wants custody."

"You leave that to me Ben."

"I can't, you know that."

"We're struggling already, I have enough without him trying to take you."

"It's not me you have to worry about mum, I'm nineteen, Phil's only seventeen."

"Oh god."

"Just promise me not to let him get Phil."

"I'll try Ben, but if he wants custody, I'm afraid that may be out of my hands, especially given everything."

Dan hears footsteps and runs back to Phil's room, but he knows that Ben caught a glimpse of him. Who needs the bathroom anyway? Dan lays back down next to Phil, who now has the kitten draped half across his black fringe that flops onto the pillow.

Dan closes his eyes, pretending to be asleep when he hears the door crack open.

"Oh, I didn't know Phil had someone over," his mother says.

"Me too, but look at him, he's the one with no mood," Ben says.

"Phil can be friends with whoever he wants. I hope everything will be okay," his mother sighs before shutting the door again and Dan's eyes open again.

His mind is racing. What is happening? Custody? Promise me not to let him get Phil?

What is happening inside these walls that Phil is so unaware of? Dan can't get back to sleep, he's too awake now.