chapter fourteen

/ I love the comments *sighs happily*

WARNING: this chapter sucks ass in sorry. /

dan

Dan's life is slowly improving now.

He's sitting with Phil and his friends regularly now, they all get along really well. Louise, Cat and Pj are so nice and Dan has noticed that his mood looks less pixelated and broken now. It's healing along with himself.

Dan is starting to believe that maybe he can have a future despite his mood. There's still Alfie and his friends who are mean to him, but it's less threatening and hurtful for him when there's Pj, Phil or Louise behind him, sticking up for him.

Maybe he doesn't need everyone to accept and believe in him, maybe he just needs a couple of people to.

"You seem happier Dan," his mother comments that morning as Dan sits at the bench, shovelling cereal into his mouth, "it's good."

"I am, I-I've got these n-new friends," Dan says with a smile, "Pj, L-Louise and Phil."

"That's good, I'm glad you're happy Dan," she says with a smile, hugging him tightly.

When she walks off, Dan hesitantly glances at the mood over her head, smiling brightly when he sees that she's happy. Maybe his parents really do want Dan to be happy, he just mistook their moods. Perhaps they were just worried about him after all.

Dan smiles to himself as he finishes his cereal. Maybe because he finally has a more positive outlook on life his world is starting to shape itself along with that. As Dan's perspective on everything grows brighter, he himself is growing brighter as well.

"Hey Dan!" Pj greets him when Dan walks into the school yard, "how are you this morning."

"I'm g-good," Dan says with a grin and a light laugh, "w-where's Phil? He's u-usually here by n-now."

"Yeah, I'm not sure. He wasn't texting me last night as well, which is odd. He's either sick or was just sleeping," Pj says with a dismissive shrug, "it happens every once in a while."

"Y-yea-"

"Hey Howell, still no emotions?" Alfie sniggers as he walks past them, pausing in front of Dan, a lighting storm brewing above his head, "you're so pathetic, honestly."

Although Dan is taller, the other boy still manages to somehow look down on Dan. Suddenly, Dan's confidence has seeped away, running into the shadows and he feels himself start to sink down in fear. Then there's a hand on his shoulder.

"Alfie, no one cares what your irrelevant opinion is," Pj says in a steady, strong voice as he meets Alfie's glare without a falter, "so please do us all a favour and fuck off."

"Don't you fucki-"

"Alfie, just leave it for once in your life," Chris says, appearing and pulling the boy back before nodding at dan and Pj, a cloud hovering above him, "we'll be off."

"I don't like him," Pj says with a frown, folding his arms over his chest, his mood a suspicious glance in Alfie's direction, "he sets me on edge."

"W-which one?" Dan asks, still feeling slightly shaken up but he feels better now - his heartbeat has returned to a normal rate and he feels more calm.

"Both of them," Pj says.

"Chris s-seems okay," Dan says thoughtfully, "I-I mean he holds A-Alfie back."

"He shouldn't have to hold that psycho back," Pj says angrily.

"M-maybe Alfie has a b-bad life?" Dan says.