Chapter Five

The next day was filled with showing Allie the ropes of the pack house, I'd only been here a couple days and I was still learning myself, but I think she enjoyed knowing she wasn't the only one who was new here. We were sitting in the kitchen chatting over some breakfast when Kieran walked in with his beta. I'd met the man a couple of days ago, his name was Jonah. He was nice, and he'd grown up with Kieran which is I why he'd been picked to become beta.

Kieran was saying something to Jonah, but he stopped when he entered the threshold of the kitchen. His eyes were trained on Allie next to me, I watched his nostrils flare as he breathed in the air of the kitchen. It only took him three steps to come up behind Allie, who had frozen next to me when Jonah walked in. "Mine," Jonah breathed out as he grabbed Allie's arm and turned her around to face him.

I looked over at Kieran with a confusing look, and he smiled at me beckoning me over with a wave of his hand. I stood from my chair, but Allie and Jonah paid no mind to me, as I walked over to where Kieran was standing. He wrapped his arm around my waist and led me from the room.

"What was that all about?" I asked him as we walked into the living room. The pack house was empty everybody was either out training, at school, or at there jobs for the day. Kieran had decided I was still too weak to go to school quite yet. He'd set something up with the school though that allowed me to take my finals from the comfort of the pack house, it helped that the principle of my school was part of his pack, as were most of the my teachers.

"Jonah just found his mate," he said as he sat down on the couch and pulled me down next to him.

"You mean Allie right? Allie is Jonah's mate," Kieran nodded smiling at me. I looked at him for a moment before smiling at looking over to the entryway from the kitchen. I rested back against laying my head on his chest, and he rested his chin on top of my head. I heard him take a breath as he put his nose in my hair, I'd figured out that it meant he was taking in my scent. He enjoyed doing it any time I was in his arms. I think it comforted him to know that I was still there, and that I was okay after what my father had done to me.

I heard Allie laughing a moment later, and I looked up as Jonah led her into the living room. That sat on the couch across from Kieran and me. Jonah grabbed the remote to the TV from the table in front of him, he turned it on. Then his focus was on Allie. They were just talking, but you could see how happy there were to have found each other. There was a sparkle in there eyes. It almost made me wonder why Kieran and I weren't like they were. We were mates, but we didn't act like they did. I'd never seen Kieran act the way Jonah was towards me.

Kieran grabbed my hand leading me from the room, we stayed on the first floor but he led me into a room at the back of the house. I realized he'd taken me to a office, I'm guessing this was his office that he used. I looked around the room, there was a small bookshelf next to the door in the corner across from the desk. It had pictures resting on some of the shelves.

Most of them were as Kieran as a little boy with his parents, there was a couple with a little girl a couple of years younger than him, and then there was from his high school graduation. His was standing next to the girl again, she was older this time and had blonde hair instead of Kieran's dark brown hair. The two people from some of the older pictures were not standing next to them.

I picked up the frame, Kieran looked so serious in the picture, he wasn't even smiling. He looked like he had better places to be, but the girl next to him had her arm around his shoulder and she looked happy. She was smiling from ear-to-ear and there was pride in her eyes and then way she had her arm around his shoulder. "Who is this girl?" I asked with the picture in my hand as I turned around to face Kieran who was sitting at his desk.