Chapter Twenty Eight

“C’mon Rae, it’s time to wake up.” Gabe said softly, gently nudging me. I groaned and turned over, burying my face deeper in his lap. Shit his lap. Quickly processing what I was doing, I scrambled away from him and back to my end of the couch. Gabe curiously watched me, obviously amused. I glared and stuck my tongue out at him.

            “Where are we?” I asked, rubbing my eyes. I could feel my hair was mangled and twisted in every which way. God I probably looked great.

            “Cleveland, Ohio.”

            I nodded slowly. “Ok, and what time is it?”

            “It’s 1:30 in the afternoon.”

            “What time is the concert tonight?”

            “7:00 tonight.” I gave him a confused look. “What?” He asked.

            “Well what am I supposed to do four and half hours?” Gabe shrugged.

            “We have to check out the stage now, make sure everything is good there. That’ll take an hour. Then, we have to be backstage by 5:30 so that we can get your makeup and costuming set and ready, do your microphone check, and then it’ll be time. So you actually have,” he paused to think, “three hours to do whatever you want.”

            “And I have to wander around the city by myself for three hours?” I asked.

            “Well I can come with you if you’d like.” Gabe offered.

            “Can you?” I asked nervously. He shrugged and stood from the couch. “So what do you wanna do?” My stomach growled and he chuckled. “Well I think that settles it. We’ll go out for lunch. I know a place.” I nodded and started toward the door before Gabe stopped me. “Uh Rae…don’t you think you wanna get dressed in something other than your pajamas?” I glanced down at what I was wearing and nodded in agreement.

            “Just give me fifteen minutes to get ready.” I pleaded. Gabe shrugged and plopped back down onto the couch.

            I took a quick shower, threw on a pair of jeans and a shirt, did nothing to my hair and face (I figured the makeup and costume people will take care of that later), threw on shoes, and emerged from the bedroom. I probably didn’t look any better than I started, but I mean it wasn’t like this was anyone important. It’s just Gabe after all…

            He glanced up and headed for the door and before we stepped out of the coach, Gabe put a pair of sunglasses over my eyes and a hat to cover my face a little. “You’re gonna have to get used to this.” I groaned but he didn’t seem to notice; he just pushed open the doors and held them open for me. The sunlight was blinding at first. It took me a few seconds to adjust to the light. When my eyes finally adjusted, I realized that Gabe was walking ahead of me. I quickly ran to catch up to him. By the time I reached him, I was huffing and puffing. I need to get in shape.

            “Nice of you to wait for me.” I snipped.

            “We don’t have a lot of time for lollygagging. Besides, the place that we’re going to is busy.”

            “It’s 1:30 in the afternoon, are they really going to be busy?” I asked, folding my arms across my chest. He glanced at me for a second and rolled his eyes. “That’s not an answer!” I pointed out.                  

            “They’re always busy. And they only take reservations.” Gabe answered after a few minutes of silently following him down busy streets.

            “Then why are we even going here?” I demanded exasperated. This kid just didn’t realize that I’d be happy enough going to a McDonald’s with him. As long as it was with him. Did I just say that? Oh God Rae you sound so desperate.

            “You’ll see.” He answered cryptically, stopping at some restaurant called Hyde Park Prime Steakhouse. Why did we have to go to a steakhouse for lunch? I swear he makes no sense.

            We stepped into the restaurant and I gaped. Jeez this place was pretty nice. And Gabe was right, they were jam packed. The place was lavishly decorated with chandeliers, fancy tables; an entire wall stacked with wine, everything you could imagine at a restaurant was here. Gabe strode to the host, a very snobbish looking man who seemed to be in his forties.

            “I need a table for two.” Gabe said politely. The man looked Gabe up and down and checked his reservation book.

            “Did you make a reservation?” He asked. His voice was nasally and squeaky.

            “No I did not.” Gabe answered smoothly. The host chuckled and made no effort to hide it. I balled my hands into fists and took a step forward so I was at Gabe’s side. Gabe pushed me back, behind him. “I do see a table for two in your back corner over there.” The host nodded.

            “Although that may be true, we finish seating at 1:30. And it’s currently 1:35.” He clucked his tongue. “Looks like you’re five minutes too late.” Gabe narrowed his eyes.

            “If you’re questioning my ability to afford eating here, I can assure you that I am more than capable to pay eating at a place like this one.” Gabe spat.

            “I’m not questioning you. But that person behind you, sir. I assume she is your second diner?” He leaned over, looking me up and down, a look of disgust blatantly plastered across his face. I glared, but it didn’t seem to faze him.

            Gabe laughed. “This young lady behind me just so happens to be up and coming star Rae Tucker.” A look of recognition flashed across the host’s face and he gulped nervously. “The table in the back, please.”

            “Right away, sir.” The host said, flustered. As I passed him he profusely apologized. I giggled and followed Gabe to the table.

            Once were seated and alone, Gabe and I burst out laughing. “That was perfect. ‘This young lady…’” I said in my best “Gabe” voice and we both started laughing. “Man did you see the look on his face?”

            “It’s always funny doing that to people. Always makes them feel like assholes.” Gabe commented, glancing back to the front of the restaurant, where the host was currently fiercely whispering to who I assumed to be our waiter. God, this was too funny.

            Our waiter ended up being just as nervous and intimidated as the host was, stuttering and sweating profusely everywhere. Our lunch was expensive, but entertaining.

            Man, I could kinda get used to this…