Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Me and Cassandra were on our way to the strip club. It was around 11:00. We were strolling around downtown New York city (where we live), and we were window-shopping in several stores.

“You gotta leave the club.” Cassandra said suddenly while gazing at a very expensive looking purse.

“What are you talking about?!” I asked, baffled by her randomness.

“Rae. You know it’s true. The boss practically rapes you every chance he can, and you’re sixteen! You have to be eighteen to work there, and I still think that’s cutting it!”

“You’re nineteen!” I fired back.

“Yeah and the boss doesn’t try to rape me every time he sees me. Rae we both know it’s dangerous there. The boss hit you. Twice!”

“He was drunk,” I said uneasily.

“That’s no excuse! What if he hits you next time because you don’t give him what he wants? How long until he kidnaps you and rapes you in a closet or something?! Then what, Rae? Will that be enough for you?!” she was getting very angry now, and I could detect the fear in her eyes.

“It’s the only way I can save my mom.” My voice grew quiet.

“I can give you any extra money I make, Rae. Seriously, this makes me uncomfortable.”

“It’s a job. I don’t have to be comfortable,” I lie, trying my best not to fidget.

“That’s not true. A job has to be something…you love. Like living your dream.” Her eyes looked out ahead in what she must’ve seen as her dream.

“Well why do you work at the strip club then?”

“Because it’s the closest thing I have to my dream.”

“Stripping in front of men is your dream?!?” I probably sounded like an overprotective mother right now, but I was in that “mode,” my best friend enjoying stripping? I think not.

“No.” She responded with a laugh.

“Then what is?”

“To dance. That’s why I go to the strip club. I used to go to a beautiful ballet company. But when I was in my senior year of high school, I got into drugs. As a dancer, my body had to be in perfect shape, and smoking was not necessarily something good for my body. Anyway, my dance coach found a packet of cigarettes in my bag, and he flipped. I was kicked out of the academy in an hour. Then, the boss picked me up. Told me I could dance for him all I wanted. I listened, and here I am, dancing on a pole for disgusting men every night.” Her voice had turned so..acid like…so filled with hatred.

“I’m so sorry.”

“So am I. but what’s your dream, Rae?”

“To sing.” I said it so automatically, I hadn’t registered what I had said until after it escaped my lips.

I regretted it immediately.

“But…you hate singers…?” Yes, I have given Cassandra the whole ‘I hate pop music’ lecture on several occasions.

“Well….I hate the process. I feel like anyone with a pretty face and no talent can get into the music industry these days. Talent doesn’t matter as long as you have an auto tuner. And I feel like there are far more people out here who can sing better than those dumb girls who don’t even write their own songs. It just makes me…upset at times. I know if I got a career in singing and it went well, mom would be ok. But I’m not good enough. And I never will be for them.”

And before I knew it, we were in front of the strip club.

“Good luck girl.” Cassandra said, leaving my side.

Well, it was all up to me now.