Chapter 10

Blaire’s POV

I crept up the stairs silently, not wanting Grayson or Aunt Cecilia to hear me. Instead, what I heard was a barricade of rat-like sounds coming from his room.

“…and you don’t appreciate the shit I do for you!” I heard Aunt Cecilia hiss. I pushed myself up against the wall and peered in through the crack, only being able to see a sliver of Aunt Cecilia’s face and Grayson’s hands.

“Me? Don’t appreciate the shit you do for me?” Grayson threw his head back and laughed once. Just one, really big, loud hah!

“Yes,” Aunt Cecilia snapped. “Don’t mock me!”

“That’s funny,” Grayson chuckled, “It’s so fucking ironic.”

Suddenly, I hear a slap, and I know for a fact that Aunt Cecilia just hit Grayson.

Don’t disrespect your elders,” Aunt Cecilia hisses. “You have a nice party going on downstairs. I expect you to stop being an asshole and go down there and appreciate the shit everyone does for you.”

Well, Aunt Cecilia is not the one slipping extra money into the cash drawer, is she? Nooo. Grayson’s working his ass off to put that extra money in, and I ruined it for him.

Least I can do is comfort him.

Grayson’s the one supporting this whole house. I want to make it up to him.

Aunt Cecilia comes out and I flatten myself against the wall, holding my breath as she passes the corner. Then she’s gone.

I slowly creep down the hall and open Grayson’s door. “Grayson?”

“What?” he snaps, turning around. “Oh. It’s just you.” His face softens slightly.

“Just me.” I raise my eyebrows and stare at his reddening cheek. “If you just told her…told her that you’re basically the one supporting the family…” I trailed off quietly, hesitantly standing on his carpet.

“Maybe she’ll treat me nicer?” Grayson scoffs. “That’s funny. You know why? She doesn’t do a shit in this house either! I’m the one working my ass of for everyone, and she thinks that she earns money with the checks from Social Security or some shit. I’m the one who’s sick of being underappreciated in this fucking house. I’m not asking for a lot, Blaire. I just want people to do something.”

“You gotta tell them, then,” I pick up a little stuffed dog, smiling at it. “Who knew Grayson Von Reuben from Century 21 was supporting this household?”

Grayson glares at me before turning to his bed, and he sits on it, stretching his feet out. “Whatever, Blaire. I’m done.”

I could feel my bottom lip quiver. “Done with what?”

My deersexual daddy can’t just give up! We’ll all die!

“I mean, I’m done. I’m done acting like I don’t matter.” Grayson scowls, rolling over to the side, facing the wall. He curled up into a ball and hugged his knees. “I haven’t done shit, right, Blaire?” He pulls the blankets over him and disappears into a little ball. “Why are you still here, Blaire? Go with the rest. I don’t matter. Shoo.”

“You do matter!” I argue, being persistent.  I cross my arms and stare at him. “I appreciate you!”

Grayson merely shrugs, and he curls up into a tighter ball. “Okay.”

That’s it. One word. “Okay.”

He’s clearly not okay! Any fucking monster can see that.