Chapter 1

I swear God created Grayson Von Reuben just to torture me.

You see, Grayson's the guy that works the concession stand at Century 21. He's super tall, he's got that dark, thick hair in his face, and he's got a big magenta streak, straight down to the middle of his bangs. He doesn't give you extra napkins, he surely doesn't say more than a "How may I help you?", and he certainly doesn't give you extra butter on your popcorn.

And that is why I'm so intrigued by a boy who doesn't give you extra butter. He's so fricking mysterious, sometimes, I'm just so tempted to dump my soda on his head, shake him loose, and ask him what the hell's up with him.

And he's extremely hot. Let's not forget that fact.

'No! I wanna watch the Smurfs!" I pouted, crossing my arms, ready to kick my brother Frankie in the shins. Frankie's quite muscular, to say in the least, but I was younger. We should be able to watch the freaking Smurfs if I wanted to!

"Blaire. What are you, five?" He glared, grabbing his car keys and pushing me out the door. "Come on. Go."

"I'm sixteen, thank you very much," I grumbled, strapping in my seatbelt and crossing my arms. "You're the one who got a DUI and shouldn't be driving."

Frankie slammed the brakes straight in the middle of an intersection and glared at me. He was really touchy on the DUI subject, seeing as his girlfriend laughed her ass off at him. And he got grounded. And he got his car keys taken away. "At least I'm not an orphan, Blaire."

Ouch.

I wasn't angry, pouty or whiny now. I was...hurt.

"I'm sorry, Blaire, I didn't mean it like th- "

"Just...whatever." I looked out the window at the passing streets of Hartford, Connecticut. It was a gloomy day to say in the least, and now Frankie brought my mood down, reflecting the weather. After all, stupid Frankie had to go criticise the Smurfs. The Smurfs were my freaking childhood, those little blue guys. 

I wonder how they'd taste like.

"Blaire, you know that- " Frankie started.

"Just be quiet. Please." We passed the library, where I usually spent my afternoons, reading to get lost in a world where my being an orphan didn't matter. After all, I was 'adopted' by the McClellan's, Frankie's family, so I suppose I wasn't completely an orphan.

But the jokes at school were enough. If it started up at 'home', then...

Frankie parked the car and pointed to the movie theater. "You go in first," he handed me a wadded 20 dollar bill. "I'll come in a second. I just need to call Felicia," he notioned to his girlfriend's number in his phone.

I left without a word and stalked into the movie theater, pretending I was a vampire. Rawr. You can't see me. I have a cloak on. But judging from the fact that I had frost-colored hair and wide grey eyes, I'm pretty sure that people mistook me as a creeper, covering his face with his forearm as if I was mental.

"One for the Smurfs, please." I bounded up to the counter and immediately spotted Grayson. He wouldn't know it, but he brightened up my day, just seeing his innocent, moody face. "And can I have a large popcorn, extra butter, please?"

"12.95." He grumbled as I held Frankie's money down. I was shorter than him, to say in the least, so he had to bend over to collect it from me.

"Keep the change!" I trilled, smiling at him. But all I got was a blank expression while he got my popcorn. "And don't forget that extra butter."

But he ignored me and slid my popcorn to me, gesturing to the next person in line. No butter. "Why are you so mean?" I pouted, looking into my popcorn bucket.