Chapter 18

Le little filler chapter.

__________________________ 

Blaire’s POV

“Blaire.”

“Go away.”

“Blaire.” A hand shook me as I burrowed deeper into my stomach.

“Go away.”

“Blaire, Grayson’s awak—“

“Get your fat ass out of my way or you’ll be dead boy MOVE!” I flew out of my hibernating position and rushed to the metal doors. “Ouch!”

“Blaire, honey, you have to open the door first,” Carter pulled it open for me as I rubbed my forehead. “I have to go in with you th—“

I wasn’t there to finish listening to him because I was halfway down that ugly white hallway, peeking into each door until I found Grayson’s.

“EW!”

“NO DON’T LOOK THERE KEEP WALKING!” Carter kept on pushing me down the hall. “Heart surgery shouldn’t have open windows.”

“Ewww!” I closed my eyes and jumped onto Carter. “Carry me there. Please. I hate hospitals.”

“Close your eyes, then. And don’t open them until I say so.”

Carter finally opened the door into a sterile room and commanded me to open my eyes, where I saw Grayson on a hospital bed, pale as ever.

“…is that him?”

Carter was hesitant to answer me as he stared at the near-translucent body on the bed.

“Yeah.”

Then he left, leaving me alone.

I walked up to the body nervously and stared into Grayson’s face, his face so pale. I could see the green veins running through his body. His breathing was uneven, and once in a while, he hiccupped and the heart monitor stopped for the slightest of seconds.

“…Grayson?”

No answer.

“Grayson? Carter said that you were awake.”

“…I…I am.”

Oh god.

“Grayson!” I jumped onto the bed, avoiding the tubes that ran through his bruised chest. “Don’t dieeee! Pleaaaase!” I wailed, clinging onto him. “Don’t dieeee!”

“I..I’m not going to,” he wheezed, and managed to kick me off his bed. “If…if you’re going to sit here, sit on the edge of the bed.” He winced as he tried to sit up, knocking over a bottle of water and watching it as it exploded.

“I’m sorry.” I stared at his bare chest as he pulled the covers up, hiding the areas where the tubes went in. “I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry—“

“Shut up. Why’re you sorry?” Grayson propped his head on a pillow and winced again.

“Because.” I ignored his request and sat next to him instead, pulling him into a hug. “I’m sorry for leading you on and kissing you and Justin and the dance and the flower and telling the nurse that you were my daddy and telling her that you raped a dead deer and—“

“What?!” Grayson coughed, his skin becoming remarkably paler. “You told her I raped a dead deer?!”

“Yeah! Remember what you told me at the lib—“

“Oh my God Blaire they probably think I’m into bestiality you fucking idiot!” Grayson wheezed, coughing his lungs out. “What is wrong with you?! I could get arrested or some shit!”

“No I’m sorry don’t kill me!” I covered my face with my hands. “Not today please no! I’m sorry I really fucked you up I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorr—“

“My fucking LORD SHUT UP!” Grayson roared, and I could hear his voice echoing in the room.

“I’m sorry.”

Grayson looked like he was about to have an aneurysm as he glared at me.

“Why’re you here?”

“What do you mean ‘why am I here’?” I asked, poking Grayson’s hand cautiously. He snatched his arm away and glared as hurt radiated through me.

“Why the fuck are you here? Shouldn’t you be in a hotel with the lot of them?” He glowered at me, looking away. “Leave.”

“No! I spent all night sleeping in that waiting room.” I looked at the vase of dead flowers on his bedside table. “Have you been in there? It’s so bright, it’s like trying to sleep on the sun—“

“Which is illogical because if you sleep on the sun you melt away and die.” Grayson deadpanned.

“Oh shush!” I slapped his arms. “At least appreciate the fact that I’m here instead of rotting away, you unappreciative dipshit!”

Well, that shut Grayson right up.

He was silent for a matter of minutes, until he said “I’m sorry.”

I nearly laughed. Grayson Von Reuben does NOT apologize.

“You’re right,” he said, “I appreciate it. I should appreciate it.”

I think I’m having a hallucination.

“Sorry.”

And that did it. I bust out laughing, falling off the bed and landing in the little puddle on the floor where Grayson had exploded his water bottle in.

“Why are you laughing at me now?” Grayson snarled. I couldn’t answer him as I felt my shirt soak through to my body.

“I…I…”

“Haven’t I had enough already?!”

I stopped. “What?”

Stop laughing at me. I think I’ve had enough shit to deal with, haven’t I?” He snapped, and I instantly felt like I was drowned in guilt, not water.

“Sorry.”

“Just leave,” Grayson sighed, defeated. “Please.”

“But…”

Now what do I do? Do I get up and talk to him, even if there is nothing to be said? What does Blaire do?

“Iloveyou!” I found myself blurting out.

Grayson choked, spewing spit everywhere.

 “What?!”