Chap. 22

“Definite improvement,” Paula said, watching as I worked with the weighted ball.

“Thanks,” I said, through gritted teeth.

It felt like I was ripping my shoulder out of my socket.

“Let’s finish up with some feel-good,” Paula said, taking the weighted ball from me.

“Happily,” I muttered, wiping the sweat off my forehead.

“You’re recovering quite well,” she said, signaling for me to lie face down on the mat.

“So I can start running again?”

“I wouldn’t go that far.”

I let out a frustrated sigh as she used the Ultrasound on my shoulder.

“How much longer?” I whined.

“I’m not your doctor,” she chastised, raising her eyebrows at me.

“If you were my doctor?”

She sighed, mulling over my question for a few moments. “Probably two to four weeks.”

“Weeks?” I demanded.

“If not more,” she added. “You had a major trauma to your shoulder.”

I ignored the last part, clenching my jaw.

There’s no way I could afford to lose another month of training.

“Alright, you’re done here,” Paula said, wiping the Ultrasound goop off my shoulder. “And don’t take what I said to heart, alright? You see your doctor next week, and you should talk about it with him.”

Like hell I will.

But I nodded and flashed her a smile before heading out and sliding into the passenger seat of Carson’s car.

“You have your thinking face on,” Carson said, pulling out of Physical Therapy.

“Were you cleared to drive?” I demanded.

“Yeah dad, I was,” he answered, a bit irritated.

I nodded, rotating my shoulder to relieve some of the tightness from today’s Physical Therapy work.

“So you’re thinking face,” Carson prodded.

“Just thinking about the Olympic trials,” I muttered, extending my left arm with a slight groan.

“Almost full extension,” Carson commented. “Nice.”

“I need it to be full extension,” I muttered, leaning back in my seat. “I need to start training again.”

We reached the house and I hurried inside, just needing to grab a few things before I headed back to school.

I hated having to commute, but it was what I had to do to keep up with school and Physical Therapy. And I was willing to do almost anything at this point to get cleared to train again.

“How was PT?” Zoe asked, waiting for me in my room.

“It went well,” I said, giving her a quick kiss before I threw some stuff into a duffel bag.

“You have that look on your face,” Zoe pointed out, as I readjusted my sling on my shoulder.

“What look?” I asked, with a smile.

“I don’t know,” she said, raising her eyebrows at me.

“I think you’re crazy.”

She laughed. “I think we already established that.”