Chap. 21

As I slowly blinked awake, the first thing I realized was that the sun was setting outside my window, telling me that I had slept all day.

I still felt exhausted, and I let myself lie there for a few more moments, before lazily climbing out of bed.

I hazily remember someone waking me up around lunchtime, and I’m pretty sure I ate something, but there’s also a strong chance that could’ve been a dream, so there’s also a strong chance I hadn’t eaten all day.

I quickly sprang into action, grabbing my PDM and plugging in my information as I pressed the intercom button.

“Eileen?” I asked, my voice still hoarse from sleep.

“Yes dear?” she asked.

My blood sugar beeped in at 68.

“Can you please send up some spaghetti?”

“Right away.”

I grabbed some orange juice out of the mini-refrigerator in my room before heading across the hall, knocking twice on Carson’s door before letting myself in.

He was lying across his couch, his right arm thrown over his face.

“Want me to turn off the lights?” I asked, leaning against his doorway.

“Yeah.”

“Are you going to sleep on your couch?”

“Yeah.”

“Any specific reason?” I asked, flipping off his lights and taking a swig of my orange juice.

There was a moment of silence. “Because I feel too lousy to climb up to my bed,” Carson confessed.

“I’m sorry.”

He laughed. “For what?”

“I realized that my beer wasn’t Bud,” I admitted, my stomach churning. “I should’ve put the pieces together.”

“That’s bullshit and you know it.”

“It’s true.”

“By the time you realized that, I had probably already taken a swig.”

“What do you remember from the party?”

“I remember getting there, but that’s about it.”

I let the silence hang in the air for a few moments. “I’m still sorry.”

“You’re getting on my nerves.”

I laughed, shutting his bedroom door behind me as I met Eileen in the hallway.

“Thanks,” I said, seeing the plate of spaghetti in her hands.

“No problem,” she promised.

“Did I eat today?”

“Of course dear. I woke you up for lunch and then a little snack later.”

This is why I love her.

I went into my room, where Zoe was waiting for me, sitting on the edge of my bed.

“Hey,” I said, taking a seat next to her.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were going to a party?” she asked, turning to look at me.

“It was a last minute thing,” I said, taking a bite of my spaghetti. “Carson threw the idea at me, and I took the bait.”

She nodded.

“You’re not bad about it, are you?” I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

“I’m a little put-off,” she admitted.