Chap. 23

“You’re making immense improvements,” Doctor Calcutta said, once she finished examining my shoulder.

“And?” I prodded.

“I know what you want me to say Mason,” she said, with a sympathetic smile. “But it’s just not going to happen, not today anyways. The surgery was only a few weeks ago, and you’re not ready yet.”

I let out a frustrated sigh, running my fingers through my hair.

“But you don’t have to wear the sling anymore, I’m confident in the stability of your shoulder.”

I immediately slid my arm out of the sling, causing her to laugh.

“See me in three weeks,” she said, writing up a prescription. “We’ll reevaluate then.”

“Three weeks?” I groaned.

“Be patient,” she said, patting my arm. “There was a lot of damage to the shoulder and it was an intensive surgery. You don’t want to damage it any further.”

I nodded, and she walked out, leaving me with the prescription to make the follow-up appointment.

I went out to the front desk and made the follow-up appointment before calling Maurice as I headed out.

“How many weeks?” he asked, answering the phone.

“How do you know I wasn’t cleared?” I demanded.

“Because I’m not an idiot.”

I slid into the passenger seat of my car, even though I haven’t exactly been cleared to drive yet either. “Three weeks.”

“We can work with that.”

“How so?” I demanded. “How do you think I’m going to be ready for the Olympics if we keep pushing off training?”

“You haven’t been cleared to run,” he corrected me. “We can still condition.”

 ~*~

“Hey honey,” Eileen said, as I came stumbling into the kitchen.

“Hey,” I muttered, plopping down into a kitchen chair.

“Hard day?” she asked, handing me a bottle of water.

“You could say that,” I said, letting my body slump over.

“God, it stinks in here,” Carson said, coming into the kitchen. “Come on Mason, take a shower or something.”

I didn’t have the energy to argue back with him, so I just shot him a glare.

“I like it when you have hard training days,” Carson said, with a smirk. “I can do practically do and say whatever I want to you and you’re too drained to care.”

“Shut up.”

Ethan and Cody came inside from the back porch, Ethan looking stressed.

“What is that smell?” Cody asked, wrinkling his nose.

“The stench of Mason,” Carson said, with a smirk in my direction.

“Take a shower or something,” Ethan said, grabbing a beer out of the refrigerator.

Dad came into the kitchen, looking just as stressed as Ethan, if not more.

“Hey dad,” the four of us said in unison.

“I would disperse if I were you.”

“What?” Cody asked, raising his eyebrows.

“Trust me.”