Chap. 5

“That was a close call,” Joseph said, raising his eyebrows at me.

“You don’t have to tell me twice,” I muttered.

“So what about Terrence?”

“His tryout has been pushed back to tonight. Coach treated him to a late lunch I think.”

“Because of you?”

I nodded. “I feel terrible about it. But I just couldn’t do it earlier.” I raised an eyebrow at him. “You’re not looking so great yourself.”

He chuckled. “Gee, thanks.”

“What’s going on?”

“Just a lot of stress lately, with school and golf. It’s a lot harder than I thought it would be.”

“But you’re enjoying golf?”

He nodded. “More than I thought I would.”

“Every Walker has a set sport,” I said, popping some popcorn into my mouth.

“Not every Walker,” James called in the background.

“You’re just special,” I called back.

“How special?” James asked, his face appearing in the camera. He wiggled his eyebrows.

“So special that they had to add an ‘ed’ at the end.”

Joseph burst into laughter, and James chuckled. “That’s a good one.”

“College isn’t all about learning.”

“Do you even attend classes?” Joseph asked, raising his eyebrows.

“Eh, not really.” I had an incoming Skype call, Carson’s ID. “I’ll talk to you later. Keep drinking, got it?”

Joseph raised his water glass. “On it.”

I answered Carson’s call. “Long time no-”

“No time for that,” Carson answered, quickly. “I have a problem.”

“Of course you do.”

“And it involves Zoe.”

Now my interest was peaked. “What the hell are you talking about?”

“Who cares about your brother’s problem?” Carson muttered. “Only when it involves your girlfriend.”

“Shut up asshole. Tell me what’s going on.”

Carson chuckled. “There’s that Mason I’ve come to know and-”

“I will kill you in your sleep.”

Carson shrugged. “So I’ve been told. So get this, alright? I go to pick Zoe up for dance team practice today, and you’ll never guess who was at her house.”

“Who?”

“Spencer.”

~*~ 

“Are you ready?” I asked Terrence.

“More nervous,” he answered, bouncing between his heels and his toes.

“Don’t be, Coach Daniels is totally cool when it comes to tryouts. Just do what you do best, which I hope is running.”

Terrence chuckled. “I don’t know; I’m not used to running in the evening.”

“Sorry about that. But trust me, you’re going to do great.”

Terrence rolled his neck and let out a sigh. “Thanks. But it’s your job to tell me that.”

“No, it’s my job to guide you through your tryout. Not to pep talk you. My mentor didn’t pep talk me.”