Chap. 30

"You do realize it's 4 AM?" Samuel asked, coming out into the kitchen.

"I'm sorry," I apologized. "I will go out and get myself a mini-fridge tomorrow."

"What are you doing?" he asked, taking a seat at the counter.

I held up my glass of orange juice, taking a sip. "My body doesn't like to travel."

After traveling to the Olympic Qualifiers, then back home, and then out here, my body had enough.

"Okay, talk to me," Samuel said, staring at the orange juice. "OJ means low blood sugar?"

I nodded, taking another sip and cringing at the taste.

"Cool," he said, mostly to himself.

I couldn't help but laugh. "Cool?"

"Well, not for you obviously. But cool for me for figuring this stuff out." He smiled at me. "So what happens when you have high blood sugar?"

"I either take an insulin correction or drink tons of water."

"Okay," Samuel agreed. "I haven't seen that yet."

"It happens." I finished off my orange juice. "Sorry for waking you up."

"It's really not a big deal," Samuel promised, brushing it off. "What do you eat for breakfast?"

I shrugged, pulling out Sheila to check my blood sugar. "Different things? I don't know."

"Is it cool if I make omelets?"

I looked up at him. "You cook?"

"Yeah," he said, with a nod. "What do you like in your omelet? I'll make breakfast."

"Whatever we have," I said, with a shrug. "I'm not much of a picky eater."

"Awesome," he said, with a half-smile. "I'll see you in a couple hours then." He hopped up and went back to his room.

108. I'd finally stabilized, and if I went to bed now, I could get in a couple more hours of sleep.

Training was going to be rough.

"Mason Walker," the coach said, looking over at me. "You had shoulder surgery a couple of months ago, correct?"

"Yes sir," I said, shifting uncomfortably.

"Diabetic?"

"Yes sir."

He nodded. "I'm Coach Marks, and I'll be your nightmare."

Well that's great.

"Samuel Lincoln," he said, moving on from me.

"Marks," Samuel said, with a half-smile.

"How's the shin?"

"Just fine."

"Did you have the surgery?"

"Yes sir."

I didn't know that Samuel had shin surgery.

"Caleb Johnson," Coach Marks said, moving on.

"Marks, my man," Caleb said, with a smile.

"Still an ass?"

"Always will be," he said, with a salute.

"50 push-ups."

Caleb chuckled. "Whatever you say Marks." He dropped down and did as he was told.

"That was just to break him," Coach Marks said to Samuel.

"He'll still be an ass when he's done," Samuel promised.