Chap. 31

I sprinted through the airport, my suit jacket flying behind me. My Nike duffel was tossed over my shoulder as I pushed through the crowds. I checked my phone. Twenty minutes.

Steve was waiting in the car, beckoning me to hurry. I hopped into the backseat, panting.

"I'm not sure if we're going to make it," Steve said, as he tried to pull out of the airport.

"We have to," I said, breathlessly. "Break laws, I'll vouch for you."

He laughed. "I don't think it's that simple."

I checked my phone. Eighteen minutes. "We have to get there, I promised."

"You're stretching yourself too thin."

"Thanks for the life advice. Less talking more speeding!"

"How's the training?"

"It's a lot different than I'm used to," I said, readjusting my bowtie.

"How ready do you feel for the Olympics?"

"I'm still nervous. My times are either just behind or right with Caleb's." I sighed. "But I train twice as hard and twice as long as him."

"He's gold medaled in this, he knows what he's doing," Steve said, finally making it out of the airport. "But you're a hard, dedicated worker. You know the saying, right?"

"Hard work beats talents when talent doesn't work hard."

"Exactly."

I sighed. "It's just frustrating to watch him do it so easily."

"Now imagine how non-Olympians feel when they watch you."

"Stop sticking up for other people," I grumbled.

He laughed. "I'm only trying to keep it fair and balanced."

"This isn't Fox News, we don't need a fair and balanced debate."

While Steve laughed I checked my phone. Thirteen minutes.

"It's a fifteen minute drive," Steve said, answering my unasked question.

"Well step on it, because I have to get there in the next twelve."

We flew through the streets as I continuously checked my phone for the time.

"Alright, hop out," Steve said, pulling up in front of the gardens.

I stepped out of the car, and cameras were automatically in my face. They were shouting questions at me about the Olympics, my thoughts on the wedding about to happen, and whether Ethan and Sara's relationship was strictly business. I couldn't help but laugh at that one. I pushed my way through the crowd and up to the barricade, getting around it to get into the wedding.

"Glad you could make it," dad said, chuckling. "Get through the paparazzi alright?"

I nodded, stopping to catch my breath. "Where's Carson?"

He tilted his head to the room next to us. "We'll talk at the reception."

I nodded and hurried into the next room. Carson was barking orders at the other ushers, and then they filed out.

"Hey man," he said, giving me a quick hug.

"I can't believe I have to report to you," I teased.

"Well maybe if you'd shown up to rehearsal dinner..."

"Talk to my Coach."

"Alright, so do you know what you're doing?"

"Hell no."