Chap. 3

“Hey honey,” mom said, squeezing me into a hug.

“Hey mom,” I said, giving her a light hug back.

“You feel thinner.” She stepped away from me and cocked an eyebrow.

“I’m not.”

“You’re eating, right?”

I rolled my eyes. “Really?”

“I just hate it when you’re not home. I worry about you.” She kissed my cheek.

“Yeah, I got that.”

“Are you wearing Ralph Lauren?”

I nodded.

“Oh honey, I’m so proud.” An even wider smile stretched across her face.

“You’re so odd,” I muttered, shaking my head. “Where’s Carson?”

“He’s not coming.” She rolled her eyes. “Why would he come?”

“Everything alright?”

“That child has been unbearable since you left. I’ve never appreciated you more in my life,” dad said from behind me.

“What do you mean?”

“You kept him in check,” mom said, shrugging her shoulders.

“I’m just glad he can’t drink,” dad said, chuckling. “Otherwise we’d be in a world of trouble.”

We went inside and met up with Mr. Baker.

“Mason,” Mr. Baker said, with a smile.

“Hey Mr. Baker.”

“I thought I told you to call me Charles.”

“I could never call you Charles.”

He chuckled and we all sat down, me on the end. I checked my phone, 7:45. I was early.

“So did Zoe tell you?” mom asked, an excited smile on her face.

“About what?”

“Her job!”

I nodded and smirked. “I told her that I’m glad I can hang up pictures of a Victoria’s Secret model without getting in trouble.”

She slapped me upside the head. “You’re such a jerk!”

I chuckled and rubbed the back of my head. “That seems to be everyone’s favorite form of abuse lately.”

“Because you’re dumb.”

“Gee, thanks mom.”

She chuckled. “I took her to her shoot, because her dad didn’t want to see it. He thought they’d have her parading around in her bra. We both tried telling him, but you know guys.”

“I do know guys,” I said, rolling my eyes. “Is there a point to this story?”

“Anyways, Zoe was so nervous to tell you. I tried telling her that you wouldn’t care, that you’d probably be stoked because you could tell people your girlfriend was a Victoria’s Secret model, but she wouldn’t listen to me.”

“How did the land the gig?” I asked, knowing it had to have something to do with my mom.

“Angela and I had lunch the other day, and she was telling me about how she was short on models. So I set Zoe up. I mean, she has experience.”

“She does?”

Mom nodded. “She did some modeling for me for my fall line.”

“She didn’t tell me that either.”