We'll Be A Memory- Ch. 9

Shalom!

This chapter took me a while to write. I wanted to make sure I captured every detail. I hope you have as much fun reading it as I had writing it. :) If you do enjoy it, please don't hesitate to comment/vote/fan. It means a lot. :)

Read on! :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

 I ran down the stairs, skipping every other step. I had just placed my hand on the front door handle when I heard someone call my name.

"Lex! Come here please."

I groaned internally as I dragged my feet over to my mom at the kitchen table. I wiped my face clean of any expression, and put on a huge, fake smile. "Yeah Mom?" She had Jenna in a high chair, and was feeding her some kind of unrecognizable mush. "Where're you going? I thought that maybe we could go see a movie or something today?" I bit my tongue in guilt. I absolutely hated her when she was around Bruce, but she wasn't so bad when she was alone. It was like old times, like things were normal. "Mom, you'd know I'd love to, but Jonah is getting back from his cruise today. His plane gets here in an hour, and I need to go so I can get there in time." She looked up from Jenna, who had somehow smeared food in her ear, and crinkled her eyebrows. "Oh crap. I'm sorry babe, I forgot that was today. Yeah, you go ahead. I'd have no one to watch the girls if we went out anyways. I don't know what I was thinking."

I hugged her, and gave her a quick peck on the cheek. Seconds later, I was half walking, half running out the front door. I climbed in my Bug, and checked the clock. 1:05. Sha-weet. I had a little over forty-five minutes to get there before he got off the plane. With the forty-five minute drive, I'd get there just in time.

Needless to say, the car ride over was unbearably slow. I jammed out to all the music I had, but as much as I tried to control them, my nerves got the best of me. I know it's ridiculous, but I was scared. I was just so freaking terrified that he'd walk off that plane with some gorgeous, skinny new blonde around his waist. He'd take a quick glance at me, then take a look at his super-hot, slutty, superficial new girlfriend. He'd pick her up, and they'd  ride off to the sunset together. I'd be stuck at home with my two new best friends Ben and Jerry, and Phoebe would marry some gorgeous Brazilian guy and have super cute, they-should-be-Gerber-baby kids. 

I pulled into a parking spot, trembling. I hate when my brain goes into over-drive. Have I mentioned that I over-exaggerate EVERYTHING? I made an attempt to talk myself out of my crazy-ness. "Lex, you're being a freaking idiot. He loves you."

I climbed out of the car, looking a lot more composed than I felt. I definitely should not have had that venti Carmel Frappucino. The four hours of sleep definitely wasn't helping either. I walked inside the building, and before I knew it I was at the terminal. I checked my clock.

Wait. Bite nails. Wait. Twirl hair nervously around finger. Wait.

2:10 pm.

The plane had just landed, and the staff at the airport was opening the gate to the passageway that led onto the plane. It looked like a huge tunnel, that you could partially see into. About half-way down the tunnel, it curved left and the view was gone.

I bounced anxiously on the balls of my feet, my stomach a mix of butterflies and knots of stress. Suddenly, people started streaming out of the tunnel. I had to bounce on my tip-toes to see over the heads. Being 5'4" definitely had it's disadvantages. 

Suddenly, I saw a blonde head appear. It wasn't difficult to determine who it was. I had dreamed about that blonde head for too many nights to count. I waited for the people in front of him to clear before I could be certain.

It was him. He was really there, without the slutty blonde. He was standing there, looking around. I saw him run his fingers through his hair, and my breath caught in my throat. It was like I had forgot how to breathe. My eyes caught his seconds later. Before I knew it, I was racing down the carpet to him. I threw myself in his arms as he locked his arms around my waist and lifted me up. I nuzzled my face in his neck, breathing in his cologne. Damn, I missed that smell. I missed him.

"I missed you love." His breath was warm as he whispered in my ear. All my stress and tension that had been building up from this past week melted away instantly. I felt like an idiot for thinking that he could find someone else. "Jonah, I missed you more than you could ever imagine. Please, don't ever leave again." 

I heard him laugh as my feet touched the ground. He wrapped his arm around my waist, and we walked to baggage claim.

After that, you can kinda imagine what happened. We did the normal pick up your crap, go home, drop it off, blah blah blah. No one cares. I don't even care about that shit. What's important, is that during that whole time, we never lost contact. We were always holding hands or something. We couldn't get enough of each other. It was like we had just discovered what it felt like to be close with someone.

*3 HOURS LATER*

We were at the spot. Our spot, on the beach. We were sitting in the sand, a few feet back from where the waves lapped up on the sand. I sifted the soft grains through my fingers, relishing the warmness. The bright sun had baked them through the day, but now they were the perfect temperature. The setting sun was giving the ocean water a gorgeous orange glaze, and the current was creating small crests that broke and sent the smell of salt thorugh the air. I was so happy I wanted to cry. I had the love of my life sitting next to me, and we were in my favorite place. It was Heaven on Earth.

He pulled my hands away from the sand, and intertwined his fingers through mine. I glanced up from the sand, and looked into his brilliant eyes. They were a shade darker now, and I couldn't understand why. They didn't look like my Jonah's eyes. I brushed the thought aside. He was probably just tired and stressed. We started school in five days, and we still had to buy supplies and crap.

I brushed the hair out of his eyes, and kissed him. His lips were soft and warm. I missed them. I missed all of him. "Whatcha thinking about Jonah?" He looked back at me, smiling. His smile was different though. It didn't reach his eyes, like it always does. "Well..." He cast his eyes downward upon the sand. He knew the suspense was driving me nuts. "I'm thinking about how much I would like you to see you in that skimpy little bikini I bought you." I smacked him as he laughed. He lied down in the sand, and pulled me down next to him. 

I rolled over so I was lying on my side next to him. I propped my head on my hand, my elbow digging into the sand. I cast my eyes down onto the sand, and drew swirls into it with my finger. "Jonah... Do you think we really have a future together?" I drew in a sharp breath. The question had been bothering me forever, but I didn't think I was actually going to ask it. I guess it kinda... came out. I looked up, and saw his beautiful blue eyes trained on my face. He sat up and pulled me up. He took my hands in his, and looked me straight in the eyes.

"Lex, we're in high school. Everyone says we don't know what love it. And to be honest, I used to think that was true. I thought that dating was just something you did to fool around until you're forced to commit. But... I've never felt this way before. I didn't think I could feel like this, I thought that guys were kind of roped into loving someone the way I love you. Lex, you're one of a kind. I've fallen head over heels for you. I've stepped into this on my own, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Please, believe me when I say that one day I intend on making you mine forever."

Milliseconds later, we were kissing like we never had before.

It was like falling into love all over again.