Pumpkin Something

"So," Mom broke the awkward silence. "How did you all meet?"

"Well," I started. "One day I got lost in the woods and Patrick helped get me un-lost. That was also the same day I met Jon, Ryan and, even though I didn't realize it at the time, Pete."

"Alright," Mom said. "Jon, Pete, what made you guys originally want to adopt?"

"Uhh..." Jon said, glancing at Pete. "We were, uh, visiting the orphanage we grew up in and we saw Spencer and Patrick and just kind of decided then."

"Oh, so you guys are..." Dad said, gesturing with his fork at the two of them.

"No, we're just best friends that decided to adopt kids," Pete said. "Man, we sound like creeps."

"I'm sorry, I'm not really in the loop, what are your names?" Dad asked.

"I'm Pete that's Jon, he's Ryan, that's Patrick and him over there is Spencer," Pete said, pointing to the people he named.

"Alright, thank you," Dad said. "So how do you two provide for these kids?"

"Um, my parents kind of left their fortune to me," Jon said. "So as long as I use the money wisely, Pete and I can stay home and take care of everything."

"Okay, uh, how old are you guys?" Dad asked.

"I'm twenty-five, Jon's twenty-four and all of the kids are seventeen," Pete said. "Spencer's technically the youngest."

"He can't be the youngest!" I said. "He has a beard!"

"Yeah, No-Shave-November's been pretty exhilarating," Spencer said, rubbing his beard. "Well, more like No-Shave-Since-Last-November."

Dad laughed and said, "So how old were the kids when you adopted them?"

"Um... Spencer and Patrick were nine and ten and Ryan was ten," Pete said.

"Wow, so you were only..." Dad did the math in his head. "Eighteen. And Jon was only seventeen. Why do that at such an early age?"

"I dunno," Pete said. "Like you said, I was eighteen so I was the only one who could really legally adopt them, but it just felt right. And Jon kind of forced me."

"Alright," Dad said. "I'm guessing neither of you went to college?"

"I was going to, but then they came along and college didn't matter anymore," Pete said. "It was the best decision I ever made." He smiled at the boys.

"Yeah, I was going to go, too, and use my parent's money to pay for it, but I knew that if I used it to provide for these kids, it would be way better than anything I could learn to do in some class I'm barely paying attention to," Jon said.

We were all quiet for a while.

"I never knew you guys did that," Patrick said. "I've decided I want to change what I'm grateful for. I'm grateful to have such great people to take care of me as you guys are." He lifted his glass. "To Pete and Jon, the greatest legal guardians a kid can ask for." As we lifted our glasses, he continued. "Also to Brendon's parents, because they're pretty cool, too. So, I guess, to parents."

We held our glasses up and said, "To parents," and clinked our glasses.

*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*

"...And then he just tap-dances out of the room!" Pete said.

We all laughed and when our laughter finally died down, some kind of timer went off in the kitchen and Mom excused herself and went to go get what I hoped was the Pumpkin Something. Mom walked back in carrying the Pumpkin Something and a bottle of wine.

"YES!" I exclaimed. "The best part of Thanksgiving is finally here!" I turned to Ryan as Mom placed the tray of Pumpkin Something on the table. "Ryan, you've got to try the Pumpkin Something. It's the best thing you'll ever taste."

Ryan glanced at the Pumpkin Something and back at me while Pete yelled something about pumpkin squares.

"I dunno," Ryan said. "I'm not really big on pumpkin stuff..."

"Well, you at least gotta try it," I said, grabbing a fork.

"Brendon, I'm serious. I don't want to-"

"Just try it," I got some of the Pumpkin Something onto the fork.

"Brendon, no. I don't want-" I stuffed the fork into his mouth, shutting him up. He looked really upset at me and then he began tasting the Pumpkin Something and smiled. "That's actually really good."

"Did I tell you or did I tell you?" I asked, taking a bite of the Pumpkin Something myself.

"You told me," he nodded.

"May I have your attention, please?" Mom asked loudly, so she could be heard over all of the conversation. We all turned our attention to her. "Since tonight is a special occasion, I would like to share a glass of wine with all of you. Brendon, your Dad and I feel we can trust you enough with it, and as long as it's okay with Jon and Pete..."

"Yeah, I think that's a great idea," Pete said. Jon nodded and Mom poured us each half glasses of wine. We all sat there and stared at the wine.

"Wow," Patrick said. "I've never tried wine before."

"Yeah," Spencer said. "I can't wait to try it."

"Ok," I said, picking up my glass. "We all try it at the same time."

They nodded and picked up their glasses.

"Cheers," Ryan said.

"Cheers," we all repeated, then clinked our glasses.

"Alright, on the count of three," I said. "One...Two...Three!" We all took a sip of our wines. Spencer made a face and put down his glass and all the parents laughed at his reaction. Patrick kind of held his glass politely, as though if he put down the glass he would insult the wine. Ryan kind of smiled and took another sip. I did the same. I actually really liked it.

"I don't like it," Spencer said. "Here, you have it." He poured the rest of what was in his glass into Patrick's.

"What? No, I can't drink this!" Patrick said, then poured all of his into Ryan's glass.

"I can't drink this much," Ryan said. "Here, Brendon, you can have it." He placed his glass next to mine.

"Alright, more for me!" I said as I poured the rest of theirs into my almost empty glass. Dad made a move to take the glass from me, so I quickly chugged all of the wine in the glass.

Everyone stared at me. I shrugged and said, "What, a man can't drink his wine in peace? Sheesh."

"Brendon?" Mom asked. "Do you feel alright?"

"Yeah, I feel great!" I said. "A little fuzzy, but great." I looked down at my empty glass. "Can I have some more?"

"You can have some more soda," she said. "You've had more than enough wine."

I rested my head on Ryan's shoulder and sighed, "Fine."

"Uh, Brendon?" Ryan asked. "Why are you leaning your head on my shoulder?"

"Because I'm sleepy," I said with my eyes closed. Man, I didn't know wine could work this fast.

"Ok," he said. "But my shoulder's not a pillow."

"Right," I said, sitting up and opening my eyes. "Can I have some Pumpkin Something now?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

woot woot another chapter up

picture to the right is brendon and ryan :D