Part Eighteen

[A/N: Sorry this one is ubber short, but the next one's will be longer. There isn't going to be much more of this book, and there will be a sequel, because, honestly? How am I going to fit all that needs to be said and done in the next few chapters? Right. I can't. So, there will be a sequel. Enjoy the small little filler chapter, though.]

Chapter Eighteen

“Tell me who you’re working for!”

“No.” Another punch was delivered to the smirk on his face.

“Tell me, or you’ll regret it.”

No.” I took out a gun and loaded it with an Oak bullet.

“Are you sure?”

“Yep,” he said popping the ‘p’. When I saw the glint in his eyes, I realized we were going about this the wrong way.

“Well, have a nice life in a 3 by 5 prison cell.” I turned around, looking to leave and he seemed to panic.

“Wait! Aren’t you going to kill me?” Bingo. “You have to kill me! I’m not going to tell you.”

“Nah, I think I’ll just let you live.” Markus, in the corner of the room, gave me a what-the-fuck? stare. I shook my head only slightly.

“Coward!” He tried to stand up, but Markus pushed him back down, and he landed on his hands that were behind him, bound with wooded rope. He started screaming and thrashing, and I was whisked out of the room.

I looked at Amir and sighed. “I know, I know. What I did was dangerous and I shouldn’t have done it. At least we know why he isn’t telling us. Maybe now we can get something out of him.”

“You’ve been at this for six hours. Why don’t you give it a rest? Why don’t I walk you to Scott’s room? And while I do, I’ll tell you what I found out about him. Does that sound good?” The instant he said Scott’s name I agreed. He walked me into the outer hallway and told me to wait there while he went and told the others we were done for the day. When he was back, he nodded and we left, going at a normal, for vampires, walking pace.

“So what did you learn about him? And why were you questioning him in the first place?”

He looked at me and smiled. Then he looked in front of him and, while still walking, “The man whom my only sister loves just came to this castle, and we have no idea who he is. I wanted to make sure he was okay. I just want to protect you, that’s all, Sky.”

“And?”

“And what?”

“How’d he do?!” I asked, jumping up and down.

He smiled at my childishness and patted my head. “He’s a very genuine man, Sky. He’s lucky to have you, though, so he’d better not screw it up.”

“Ami! That’s rude... So tell me about him!”

“Well, he didn’t say anything about his family, and I didn’t push it. But, he did tell me that he was captured by the people who beat the hell out of him, but he escaped right before they were going to kill him.” Even the thought of him dead made my heart drop. “They followed him and they were about to catch him before he saw you. He said, and I quote this, ‘my life is complete, now that I have Schuyler’.” I smiled to myself, feeling a sudden burst of joy. “Here, you ask him the rest.” We were apparently at his room now. It was in the northwest wing, mine being in the main hall, which was the center of the castle, where the Council, Kay, Anna and I lived.

I knocked once and I was told I could enter.

Amir looked at him once and said, “Behave,” before leaving the room with a smile on his face, though not before I hit him on the shoulder.

I skipped into his room, shutting the door behind me.

“I apologize for the way I spoke to you before. I had no idea you were the princess.” He tried to stand.

“Sit! And don’t call me ‘princess’. Just act like I’m not, okay? That’s the rule here. Besides, as long as it has nothing to do with my being the princess, you can call me whatever you like. In fact, call me Skye.” He sat up in bed, his legs under the comforter. I went to sit next to him on the bed, crossing my legs. “Let’s talk about you, and afterwards, we can talk about me.”

After much prompting, I learned that his entire family was killed by a coven of vampires more than 200 years ago, and that he was from Scotland, but he’d been in America so long, his accent went away. So I went on to tell him of my screwed up life from the very beginning, and he never stopped me, just listened. He told me what he’d planned for himself when he was alive. He told me what his likes and dislikes were, and how they came to be. He even told me that before he was changed into a vampire, he had gotten two tattoos, and he told me what they were and where they were at. And in return, I told him pretty much everything about me. Pretty much.

After a while, I felt myself lay down on his arm next to him, snuggling myself closer to him, and I quietly drifted off to sleep.