Part Sixteen

CHAPTER 16

I woke up in my room with a doctor over me examining my arm. I looked over him to see Kay in the chair.

“Glad you’re awake,” she said.

“Me too.” I sat up carefully.

“I was getting worried. So was Amir. He’s been in here non-stop. Markus and Abner have been in here a couple of time as well. They’re all worried about you. This little girl has been in here too, when Amir came. Do you know who he is?” She asked me.

“Do you mean Miss Anna? Why,” said the doctor, “she is Amir and Charolette’s child before poor Charolette passed on. Amir has kept it a secret from everyone but the Council and I.”

“Why you?” I asked.

“Because I am his and her doctor. She’s such a sweet child. Here you are,” he said after he put my arm in a sling. “Keep that on for a day or two. It should heal much faster, but we can’t be too sure, so make sure you wear it. Call me if you need anything. Well, I’ll be on my way now. Have a nice day, Miss.” He left and left Kay and I alone.

“Did you sleep well?” I asked.

“Very. I still don’t understand something, though.” She looked at her hands and then at me. “I was playing with it while you were asleep. You know...The water trick. Should we tell someone?” I nodded.

“Let’s tell the council, first, Kay. Amir and Abner should be in here shortly.” I looked at her neon green eyes and wondered. “This is odd,” I said after a moment, “very odd.” I sat up in the bed and let my good hand afire. “It doesn’t even hurt, Kay.” When the door opened, I closed my hand and the fire went out.

“You’re up,” Cecil said lightly. “I’m glad to see it. Amir could not come, I’m afraid. Ever since we were told of the infiltrators, we’ve been searching for them. Well, we found them, and it was a plain out war until about three hours ago. You weren’t in here then, of course. It was too close. You two were moved back here after it calmed a bit. But, yes, we’ve taken quite a bit of prisoners, thanks to you two. And we also cleaned up the mess,” he said smiling. “Mind my asking how you went about setting five bodies on fire? Though I was proud to see that there were other bodies as well.” He smiled and I smiled back. I was getting used to the whole killing idea. Ever since the first one, I knew I’d have to get used to it. “We are proud of you both,” he said. “Although I do wish to have an answer to my previous question...”

“Yeah...Cecil? Can I show you something? Or...can we show you something?” Kay got up and moved to sit next to me on the bed. We were sitting cross-legged. “Don’t tell anyone but the Council. Actually don’t tell anyone until we get to it. Okay?” He nodded, seeming curious. Kay and I raised our hand, she her left and I my right. And then, at the same time, we set our hands alight in our own way. Fire rose to my hand and a veil of water to her’s. We looked straight at him and he was shocked.

“Wow. My dears, might I ask how you came about those abilities?”

“While we were running from them we were hiding in a closet and I was thinking that they’d burn in hell, and then my hand caught on fire. Kay was thinking of a way to put my hand out when a veil of water came over her hand. That’s how we set the bodies on fire and put them out.”

“Did you burn them alive?”

“No, I killed them first. Snapped their necks. Then I set them on fire.”

“Well,” he said. “I won’t tell the Council. I promise. Are you hungry? Since you’ve awakened, you’ve hardly had any blood. Would you like a bag or a human?”