Part Ten

My life story is simple. My parents were killed, I lived on the streets for a while, almost died, The Lord found me, changed me, one of the great Four Kings adopted me, and I became beat friends with the most important king. He had a wife and a happy life.

And then they came.

They ruined everything.

I had learned that the Lord was watchig over some human girl. For a while, and that got me to thinkig. For as long as the Lord was watching this girl, how did she not age? How did she not die? Who was his human?

Once I had The nerve to ask the Lord. He just laughed and said she was someone special to him. When I asked his wife, Charolette, she too had smiled and laughed. "That girl is very special, you see," she said, "It is important that she is safe." Then she laughed and walked away.

A few weeks after that there was a war alert. And every warrior, including myself, went out to battle. Because of that, we couldn't watch over that human girl. And because of that, we lost her. For almost two decades we looked for her, and then finally, we did. And she had changed not one bit since I last saw her. The Lord had told me that her 'parents' were here parents since they themselves were in their teens. Or were. They're dead now. It's sad, yes, but nothing can be done but to find the bastards who killed them.

The war itself was between vampires and vampire hunters + the High Council.. Of course the hunters were killed after the war was over, but still.

"Markus? I said that we needed to hurry and figure a plan. We onl have a week for my sister and it takes about the same length of time for a newborn. We'll have to run over the reason after they're both changed," the Lord said to me.

"Yeah, well, Schuyler will be in much more pain than Kay will be." We both heard a scream towards the other room. "Has it begun?!"

He nodded. "24 hours ago."

"We need to hurry and change her!" I started to pace but then thought better of it.

"Go ahead and change her. I'll stay with Skye." We took off to the next room over.

"Schuyler, what's wrong?! I'm here, honey, I'm here!" Kay was screaming and crying. And Schuyler. Schuyler was screaming bloody murder. Her eyes were wide and bloodshot. She was thrashing about the bed she was laying on, Kay holding her down. A second went by and Lord Amir was at her side within seconds. I could hear what he was saying, buy I was too worried about Kay at that moment.

I took her face in my hands and looked at her. "You need to come with me," I said. She looked back and Schuyler and nodded. I took her to my own chambers. Once she had started the change, I would place her in the bed with Schuyler. "Listen to me very closely, Kay," I said to her once we were there and she seated on he edge if my enormous bed. "I'm going to give you a choice. Will you listen?"

She nodded and stared at me. "Yes," she whispered. God, I didn't hink she'd have the heart for this.

"I haven't told you what we are, but can you guess?" She nodded and her head fell on my chest.

"Vampires...don't laugh please," she said, once again, in a whisper.

I spoke in a softer tone. "Correct. Lord Amir is a very powerful vampire. And Schuyler is his sister.Can you guess what she is?"

Her head shot up and her eyes as wide as a doe. "No," she whispered. "She's not a...vampire. Then she'll...and I'll...I'll die and she'll always live!" She closed her eyes and started to sob.

"Listen. Listen to me!" She slowly moved her eyes to look into mine. "That's why I've givn you the choice. I can change you. Into one of us. But you will be in a tremendous amount of pain. Or you can live your life and forget--"