Chapter 34

Wow. Just oh man. Longest chapter ever. Gah. Next chapter = crossover chapter with Just What I Needed so I'm dedicating this one to chooseitwisely so you guys can go to her profile and check it out!!!!! It's also a form of apology to Kelsey cause yeah, I suck.

Woot woot. Gah. Happy reading!

 Chapter 34

New York City

It was New Year’s Day and the streets were bustling with activity even at nearly eight pm. It was vibrant and beautiful and every building we passed made my palms sweat a little bit more. My breathing was coming fast and my heart was pounding in my chest as I kept my eyes glued to the passing scenery, part of me wishing I could just get out right there and walk away.

But another part of me, a somewhat braver part, knew that this is what I wanted, what I needed to let go of the woman who’d raised me for the past four years.

“Nervous?” Mac whispered close to my ear, leaning towards me in the backseat of the cab.

My lips stretched into a slightly wobbly smile as I tore my gaze from the window to look at him, my heart clenching at the sight of his unruly hair that could not be tamed falling over his vibrant blue eyes that were looking at me with love and concern. “Horribly. But I’ll be okay.”

“You don’t have to do this, Rose,” he said softly, reaching out to grip my hand in his, giving it a reassuring squeeze. “No one would blame you.”

“No one would blame you,” Sheldon said from the front seat, his eyes warm as he turned around in order to look at the two of us. “But it wouldn’t be a good idea to back out now, Rose.”

“Why are you even here?” Mac growled, glaring at Sheldon who just gave him a mild look in return.

“I’m here to support my protégé,” Sheldon said, his pale blue eyes shifting towards me and softening slightly.

Mac snorted and leaned forward slightly, his shoulders stiff as he scowled at Sheldon. “She’s not your protégé, Sheldon, if anything, you’re the one who’s learned from her.”

Sheldon looked over at Mac again and opened his mouth to say something but he snapped it closed, his eyes darkening slightly as he considered his response. He tilted his head to the side and an unreadable expression came into his eyes as he said in a softer voice, “It pains me to admit it, but you’re right, Mackenzie.” He looked over at me again and I frowned, trying to figure out what he was thinking but I’d never seen that particular expression on his face before. “I’ve learned a lot from Rose.”

“We’re here,” the cab driver said, breaking the odd tension that had been filling the vehicle as he pulled to a stop in front of the ritzy hotel that the benefit was being held in. My heart lurched in my chest as nerves stomped through my body, making it hard to breathe.

“Thank you,” Sheldon said, handing the cab driver some money and getting out to open my door.

“This is it,” I whispered, eyeing the hand that Sheldon was holding out to me, waiting for me to take but I couldn’t seem to make myself reach out to him.

“You can do this, Rose,” Sheldon said softly, giving me a reassuring smile, his faith in me shining from his light blue eyes.

Sucking in a deep breath, I gave Mac’s hand one final squeeze before letting it go and reaching out to grip Sheldon’s, letting him pull me to a standing position, my dress pooling out around my legs softly.