Chapter 15

Ack! Kind of a late upload, I know but I've been busy, sorry...

This one's dedicated to mmango for making me a beautiful cover! Thanks girl!!!!

Chapter 15

For the next couple of days, the only thing I could think about was the meeting and what might happen if we got signed to a record label. I couldn’t help but be flooded with doubts, worried that my playing would change, that I would start to play without thought or feeling just like I had with the piano and panic would crawl up my throat, choking me.

I spent my spare time on Monday and Tuesday hanging out with the guys in the garage, my fingers itching to grab a guitar and play but Mac would shoot me an evil glare as soon as the thought came to my mind. I would cross my arms over my chest and glare back at him, angry that he could see right through me so easily and then he would start playing and my eyes would glaze over, my anger forgotten as his music rushed through me, making me forget everything else.

Listening to the band play helped with my panic. I couldn’t imagine a single one of my band mates playing without the passion and love that they always played with and I knew that they would accept nothing less from me.

On Tuesday, my mind kept drifting to thoughts of the piano and the performance that Eric had invited me to. It was exactly one week away and I had played piano one time since my car accident. My wrist was still tender but it wasn’t nearly as bad as it had been and even though I’d told Eric that I would think about it, I knew that I would play.

I was sitting on the couch Tuesday night, listening to the band play BTO’s Hey You, the upbeat tone making me smile. I joined in from my position on the couch when Troy and Dan sang the sha-la-la-las, wanting to play the guitar with them but knowing that Mac would ream me out if I tried.

“I’m hungry,” Troy said when the song was over and he stood up from behind his drums walking into the house without another word.

I chuckled as Dan and Mac stared after him, scowling at the interruption. Mac eventually rolled his eyes and started strumming, playing another tune as he waited for Troy to grab his snack and come back but Dan made his way over to where I was sitting. He set his bass aside and sank down on the couch beside me, giving me small smile as he reached out and lightly gripped my bruised wrist. “It’s looking a bit better.”

I looked down at my wrist which wasn’t swollen at all now but still had some pretty dark bruises up and down my forearm. “It actually looks worse than it feels. I could probably start playing again any time,” I said loudly, sending a pointed look towards Mac who was glaring over at us.

He just scowled at me which I took as a no. “You have to let it heal properly, Rose,” Dan said sternly. He was still lightly holding my wrist, rubbing his thumb softly along the bruised skin. “So,” he said quietly, leaning in closer, “have you started looking at me a little differently lately? Maybe as more than a friend?”

He raised an eyebrow at me and sent me a charming smile which made me laugh. “Dan, it’s been three days since you asked me out,” I said through my laughter.

His smile widened and his other hand moved to brush a strand of hair behind my ear, cutting off my laugher. “I think it’s working already,” he whispered as my eyes widened at his unexpected move.

Suddenly his hand was snatched back and I looked up to see Mac staring down at his brother with anger in his eyes. “Don’t touch her,” he said in a low voice that sent shivers up my spine.