Chapter 29

Sorry if this chapter comes out a little bit delirious but i was tiiiirrreeed when I wrote it haha.

Dedicated to Colour for making a cool cover. Thanks!!!!

Enjoy!

Chapter 29

“Where is she?” I asked when I walked into Hereafter records, feeling nerves pool in my stomach.

“Dom let her into one of the studios. She said she can play the piano,” the secretary said, putting her hand over the mouthpiece of the phone for a moment before going back to her phone call.

“Thanks,” I muttered, taking a deep breath and heading towards the door separating the waiting room from the studios, leaving the rest of the band behind.

I stopped in front of the studio that Jenna and I usually worked in, peaking through the window to see a small blonde girl sitting in front of the piano. A smile curved my lips upward without thought as I watched her stumble over the keys, her head bent forward as she concentrated. Quietly, I opened the door and stepped inside, closing it silently behind me, careful not to disturb the little girl.

“Ode to Joy,” I said quietly when she was finished, making her jump slightly before spinning quickly on the piano bench. “You’re pretty good.” I swallowed hard, trying to get the lump out of my throat as her wide brown eyes focused on mine.

I stayed a few feet from her and we just stared at each other for a while, each taking in the other’s appearance. Her hair was in pigtails again but they were a bit messier than they had been the day before and her brown eyes were red rimmed and tired. She was wearing a pair of jeans with flowers up the leg and her bright pink shirt had a peace sign on it. Her lips were turned down in a slight frown and her forehead was wrinkled as she looked up at me, letting her legs dangle over the edge of the piano bench.

“I have a friend at school that’s adopted. Her name is Caroline,” she said after a long silence, her small voice wobbling slightly as she spoke. “She used to live in an orphanage and she told me that she hated it there. She said when she got adopted, it was the best thing that ever happened to her.” Savannah’s frown deepened and her hands shifted to grip the bottom of her pink shirt, twisting the fabric until it wrinkled. “Her parents are really nice and they tell her that they love her every single day.” I felt frozen as I stood there in the middle of the studio, feeling the lump in my throat growing larger by the second. “Did my Mom and Dad tell you that they loved you?” I nodded, not trusting my voice at the moment. “Then why did they give you up? Why did they send you away?”

I swallowed hard and opened my eyes wide, telling myself not to cry. “They probably didn’t think they had a choice,” I croaked.

“They said you did something bad, that they were worried that you wouldn’t be a good big sister to me,” she said quietly before shaking her head lightly, making her pigtails sway. “I think they did something bad when they sent you away. I don’t think Caroline’s parents would ever send her away no matter what she did.”

“Caroline’s a lucky girl,” I whispered, closing the distance between the two of us with a couple shaky strides, suddenly feeling like I needed to sit down. “Mind if I sit next to you?” I asked, gesturing to the piano bench and Savannah nodded, sliding over to make room for me. “Thank you.”

We fell silent again and I could feel her gaze on me as I looked at her small hands still gripping the hem of her shirt. “I’m sorry,” she whispered after a long time, making me jerk my gaze to hers.

“You have nothing to be sorry for, Savannah,” I said quietly but firmly, feeling pain in my heart as I saw the tears that were slowly dripping from her eyes.