Chapter 17

Dedicated to JamieKins for making me a lovely cover!!! Thanks so much!!!

Starts off with a recap for those of you who only read the version of the last chapter where the oder man entered with salt haha...

Just when I thought I might explode from the nervous energy, the door was flung open and Mike strode in, wearing a business suit this time and looking much more professional. He was followed by an older man with salt and pepper hair and shrewd brown eyes. He was wearing a business suit too but with no tie and if I wasn’t mistaken, he was wearing Crocs on his feet. The third person who walked into the room was younger than the other two and a female. Her long hair was an interesting mix between red and blonde and fell nearly to her waist. Her eyes were a vibrant green colour and they traveled over us quickly, her small nose pointed upward as she assessed each of us, her eyes lighting in a way I didn’t like when they landed on Mac and Dan.

“Welcome to Hereafter Records,” Mike said giving us a warm smile as they all took their seats across from us.

The older man was looking at me with a puzzled expression on his face as he sat down but he didn’t say anything. No it was the girl who spoke first, making my heart stop with her words.

“What is Rosemary Keen doing here?”

Chapter 17

“I was just wondering the same thing,” the older man said, looking at me with a raised eyebrow. His voice was low and smooth and showed very little emotion. The girl was looking at me with a condescending expression on her face, her green eyes taking in my appearance making me want to squirm.

“Her last name is Adams,” Dan said, frowning across the table at the girl.

She sent him a dazzling smile that made him blush slightly. “I know music, Dan and this girl, is Rosemary Keen.” Her voice was firm and sure as her smile disappeared and she swung her gaze back to me. “So what are you, like, the pianist for the group?”

I gritted my teeth, not liking this girl’s tone. “I play lead guitar, actually.”

She raised an eyebrow at that, “Really?”

“Yes,” I said in a near growl.

Mike cleared his throat. “Isn’t Rosemary Keen some kind of piano prodigy?” he asked, looking over at me with a puzzled expression.

I sighed, my gaze going from Mike to Dan and Troy who were all looking at me curiously. “Yes,” I said quietly, making Dan’s eyes widen. “I used to play the piano professionally.” My gaze swung from the hurt look in Dan’s eyes back to Mike who was staring at me in shock. “But now I play the guitar for Burn to Shine. Is this going to be a problem?”

Mike looked over to the older man whose lips quirked slightly at the corners and shook his head, staring at me with a calculating look in his eyes that made me nervous. “No,” Mike said, giving me a reassuring smile. “It’s no problem at all. Most people who listen to Burn to Shine’s music won’t know who you are,” he said. “Anyway, this is Jenna Brick and her father Dominique Brick. Dom is the owner of Hereafter records and Jenna is an aspiring musician.”

They both nodded politely and I noticed their similar features as they both looked us over shrewdly. “So,” Dom said after a few seconds of silence, “Mike tells me you’re amazing and I don’t want to beat around the bush here so why don’t we just head into the studio? You can tell me about yourselves later.” His voice was smooth and unemotional but there was a spark of interest in his eyes at the thought of hearing a band play. I felt a small smile twitch across my mouth as I saw the look, knowing that he loved music the same way I did. Suddenly any calculating looks or condescension from his daughter didn’t matter. This man loved music and I would be lucky to work for someone who wasn’t in it just for the money.