Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“Who are you and why are you hugging my brother?”

Dan let me go quickly but kept a steadying hand on my arm as if he was afraid I would run away.

Smart kid.

I stared up into his indigo eyes, amazed at how small the world was. What were the odds that I would run into him here? Last time we’d met, we’d been in a totally different city and he’d been spray painting a wall.

“Earth to pedophile girl.”

I whipped my head over to Mac who was standing with his hands on his hips, glaring at me. The crowd of students were unconsciously moving around us and I felt like we were trapped in some kind of human cage as I looked into Mac’s eyes which were the exact same colour as his brother’s. They were also narrowed in an intimidating glare. “Why were you attacking my fifteen year old brother?” Mac asked, his voice dripping with distain.

I bristled at his accusation. “I was not attacking him!”

He quirked an eyebrow at me and twisted his lips in disbelief. “How old are you?”

“Almost eighteen,” I replied automatically.

“So why the hell were you hugging my fifteen year old brother. He’s fifteen in case you didn’t know.”

“Yeah, you’ve mentioned it a couple times. I’m not deaf.” My voice was shaking a bit as anger and frustration mingled with my shock.

“Good, then you’ll hear me when I tell you to stay the hell away from him,” he leaned in and grabbed my arm, pulling it out of Dan’s grip.

“Back off, Mac,” Dan growled, glaring at his older brother. “You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Mac turned to glare at Dan and the two of them stood there toe to toe having a staring contest in middle of the hallway.

“You’re both very macho,” I mumbled sarcastically before turning to enter the stream of teenage traffic. I was halted by a hand gripping my arm and this time when my eyes connected once more with Dan’s my heart managed to continue beating fairly normally.

“We have to talk,” he said, leaning in close to me. He was a couple inches taller than me but he was still a bit shorter than his brother. His hair was short and spiked all over his head and he was wearing a worn out suit jacket over top of a t-shirt that said Iggy Pop on it. His jeans were riddled with holes and even his converse high tops had holes in them.

“Okay, but not right now,” I said, trying to pry my arm from his grasp.

“When?” His gaze was intense as he looked down at me and of all the emotions there, guilt was the most obvious one.

I stopped struggling and met his eyes squarely. I opened my mouth to speak but was cut off.

“Are you guys planning a date right in front of me?” Mac asked, giving me and his brother a disgusted look. “Dude,” he said addressing Dan, “she’s old. And you, pedophile girl,” he turned his accusing gaze to me, making my spine stiffen and my eyes narrow, “he’s way too young for you so you can just forget it.”

“Just shut up,” Dan growled at his brother.

“Make me,” Mac taunted, making Dan scowl. “Besides, someone has to look out for you.” Mac wrapped his arm behind Dan’s neck and bent him into a headlock, making Dan’s grip on me release. “You have such a soft heart.”

“I’m going to kill you,” came Dan’s muffled reply.

I felt my conflicting emotions tangle inside of me and before I knew it, I was letting out out a short burst of laughter before covering my mouth to hide it.

Their heads lifted and they both eyed me with surprise written on their faces. “Do you think this is funny?” Mac asked, his voice low as he glared at me.

I shook my head, stepping back and bumping into someone. “Watch it, bitch,” the girl said before moving on.

“Everyone is so sweet here,” I mumbled.

Suddenly, my arm was being grabbed once again but this time, it was Mac and he dragged me close until our bodies were flush against each other. I could feel his hard chest brush against my breasts and his other hand curled around my waist, making my breath hitch at the unfamiliar contact. He bent his head so that his mouth was close to my ear and whispered, “If you’re messing with my brother to try to get to me, I can promise you, you’ll regret it.” His voice was low and dangerous and to the outside world, this may have looked like an embrace but his grip was a little too firm and his finger tips were digging into my skin threateningly.

I lurched my head back and glared at him before raising my foot to slam it down on his toes. He howled in pain and released me quickly, squeezing his eyes shut in agony. “You conceited son of a bitch,” I said, surprised to hear the words come out of my mouth but unable to stop them. “I promise, I will never be interested in a guy like you. From now on, I would appreciate it if you kept your accusations and judgements to yourself.” I took a step closer to him, ignoring the surprise, lighting his indigo eyes as he looked down at me. “If you don’t, you’re the one who’s going to regret it.”

With a quick nod to Dan who was standing with his mouth hanging open, staring at me like I was a rare alien life form, I spun on my heel and walked away.

I’d already made it a good distance when I realized that I’d left my bag in the music room and I was going in the opposite direction. Not wanting to ruin my exit, I kept going until I saw a hallway on my right. I turned and leaned against the wall, taking a deep breath to calm my racing heart. Had I seriously just threatened Mac Parker, a guy I’d only just met? Did I think I was in a gang or something?

What if he was in a gang?

“Oh god,” I groaned, dropping my head into my hands and trying not to think of the statistics on gang violence that I’d read about for the area. Taking a deep breath I pushed away from the wall I was leaning against and took the long way back to the music room. Actual music students were filing into the classroom and as I searched for my bag, my eyes were caught by the flash of golden metal from the saxophones and the trumpets. I winced as someone started to warm up with an incredibly out of tune trumpet.

“Can I help you, miss?”

My gaze rose and connected with the eyes of a short man who had a receding hairline and small reading glasses perched on his nose. One of his eyebrows was raised in question as he looked at me.

“I left my bag here earlier,” I said moving towards where I’d left it. A young clarinet player held it out to me and I gave her a grateful smile. She flashed me her braces in return before facing forward again and concentrated on warming up.

“Oh, so you’re in shop class,” the teacher said, his tone filled with sarcasm.

“You mean nap time,” a student piped up making all the other students burst out laughing.

“Um, yes,” I said after they’d quieted down.

I had just about made it to the door when the teacher spoke again. “Just one thing, miss.” I turned my head to look at him and he was giving me a stern look. “Don’t touch the equipment.”

A small smile tugged at the corners of my mouth. “No problem,” I said confidently and left the room.