Chapter 3

Dedicated to Yessi4love for making me 4 awesome covers!! Thank you so much!!

Chapter 3

I was pretty jumpy for the rest of the day. I couldn’t stop thinking about those gang statistics and I kept remembering how low and dangerous Mac’s voice had gotten when he’d whispered in my ear. I shuddered just thinking about it. My final class of the day was chemistry and by the time it was over, my nerves were shot.

I had managed to find my locker during lunch hour so after a quick stop off there, I headed out of the building, breathing a quick sigh of relief that I hadn’t had another run in with MacKenzie Parker.

“Rosemary Adams!”

I flinched at hearing my name being called so loudly and jumped when a blur crossed my line of vision. I blinked and my gaze connected with Dan’s. His cheerful expression changed to one of shocked awe as he looked at me. “I can’t believe it’s you,” he whispered as his eyes roamed over my face.

“How did you recognize me?” I asked, suddenly curious.

“Well your eyes, mostly,” he said quietly, our eyes connecting. “I’ve never seen anyone with eyes like yours before. They’re such a light brown that they’re almost gold.” He shrugged. “Besides, that night kind of sticks out in my mind and I’ve never forgotten your face.” He took a deep breath. “I wanted to tell you that I’m so sorry for not confessing the night the cops took you away. I was seven and─”

“You were seven?” I asked loudly, my voice a bit squeaky as it raised in pitch.

He moved his gaze to his feet and shifted uncomfortably. “Yeah.”

“What kind of seven year old spray paints buildings?”

He kept looking at his feet for a while before his gaze rose and connected with mine. “I’d just lost my best friend and for whatever reason, I decided to run away from home with a can of spray paint.” He shrugged. “I was a kid and I was grieving. I didn’t really think it through.”

I sighed and tilted my head as I looked at him. His indigo eyes were wide and pleading as he looked back at me. “Okay. I forgive you.”

He blinked before a wide grin broke out across his face. “Really?” I nodded, feeling an answering smile on my lips. “I’ve been waiting so long to hear you say that!” he shouted before wrapping his arms around me again and lifting me off the ground, spinning me.

“Put me down!” I shouted, noticing a few students looking at us.

“Sorry,” he mumbled as he released me and took a step back. “So, I’ve always wondered, did you get in a lot of trouble for it?”

My heart skipped a beat as he asked the question and I looked away just in case he saw something in my eyes. “No, it was no big deal. My parents believed me when I said I didn’t do it.” My voice came out strong but inside, my heart was cracking a bit as I thought of Sarah and Ben.

“Well that’s good.” He slung an arm around my shoulders and grinned down at me. “So, where are we going?”

I rolled my eyes. “We are not going anywhere. I am going home and you are going to leave me alone now. You’re brother already thinks I’m a pervert, no need to fuel the rumours.”

He snorted. “Like I care about rumours. Every single girl in my grade is totally in love with me. A few rumours won’t do a thing to change my popularity.”

I stopped walking, making him look down at me quizzically. I gave him a disgusted look. “You’re going to turn out just like him.” I shook my head, starting to walk again and trying a little harder to remove the arm from my shoulders but he resisted.