It's Christmas Time ... Again ... (part one)

“So for this year’s class charity project you’re all going to get jobs, work until the week before Christmas, and we’ll donate whatever you’ve earned to the charity that the school has chosen for this year. Not only do you get to help out people in need, but you learn good work ethic!” Storm smiled at them, while they all groaned.

Skylar’s arm shot up into the air. “Do we get graded on anything?”

Storm nodded. “Yes, if you fail to get a job you get an F for the project. All of you must get a job for the project.”

“Yes! Finally!”

“Oh, sorry Mellissa, you Stevie and Angela are exempt from this project since the three of you are too young to get a job.”

“Dammit! Sure, the one project that I wanna do you go and cut me out of!”

“That’s a dollar Mellissa.”

She grumbled her way to the front of the classroom and threw a handful of quarters in Storm’s general direction. “Fine! There’s my stinkin’ contribution to the project then!” She stomped back to her seat as Craig’s hand went up.

“Uh, I’ve already got a job; remember I work at Pizza Hut.”

“You’ll have to see if you can get leave from there for the duration of the project and get another job for the assignment.”

“What? Why? That’s not fair the idea of the project is to get a job. I’ve already got one!” he complained.

“Because, you already having a job gives you an unfair advantage. That’s why. Now talk to your boss, if you need a note then I’ll give you one. Any other questions? No. Good. Dismissed.”

Skylar fairly skipped out of the room. “I’m going to the mall right now to look for a job! Who’s coming with me?” Death of course volunteered.

“I’ll go too if we can stop at the Pizza Hut on the way so I can talk to my boss,” Craig said morosely.

“Hey, I’ll come too. Might as well get this over with,” Stone put in with a deep sigh. Mellissa, Angela, and Stevie elected to join them, after all who wanted to miss a mall excursion.

After a quick discussion, they headed for the garage. Skylar stopped and turned to Ziva and A’Cadia with a frown. “Aren’t you guys coming too?”

A’Cadia snorted. “We’ve got an entire week to look, why rush out?”

“Because it isn’t easy to just get a job, A’Cadia. Do you even have a résumé? Any job experience at all?”

Ziva giggled. “She’ll just show ’em the claws and threaten to shish kabob them if they don’t hire her.”

“Shove it Sparky.” A’Cadia flashed only one claw at her, the middle one. “Why aren’t you following Suzy Sunshine then, Sparky?”

Ziva shrugged. “I have job experience, I’m good to go.”

Skylar shook her head at them in what appeared to be disappointment. “You’re both going to regret not going with us!”

“Whatever Skylar, just go, I want to take a nap.” A’Cadia headed for the living room. Ziva trailed behind her, deciding that a nap sounded like a pretty good plan.

***

Ziva woke to someone poking her insistently in the cheek. She cracked open her right eye and attempted to focus. “You poke me one more time Mellissa and I’ll zap you with enough electricity to put down an elephant.”

Mellissa looked over her shoulder, shouted to someone, before scurrying from the room. “I think she’s awake!”

“Of course I am you were poking me!”