1

Aaliyah, a 15-year-old girl. Her boyfriend Messiah was 18. She was head over heels in love with him. They spent every day together, so much she thought it would last forever, they were already three years into the relationship. But there came days when it wasn't so perfect; he would get abusive. Physically, emotionally, even mentally. Not only that; he was pressuring her to have sex with him. She was scared, it would've been her first time, and she wanted it to be at the right time in a perfect way. She stalled him before she gave him an answer, the longer she waited, the more he pulled away from her. It was a week or two before Aaliyah gave in and said she'd have sex with him but only if he wore protection. Messiah didn't like the fact that he had to wear a condom.

"Don't you trust me, Aaliyah?"

"Of course I do, I just want to stay safe. Don't want to risk getting pregnant."

"Fine, whatever." He replied.

The day came. Messiah got home from school and immediately got in the shower. He ordered her to put on a gown and some of the perfume he bought her. He even wanted her to put on earrings and a necklace. Told her to comb her hair and make herself presentable. She laid on the bed and waited for him. When he came in the room, she was still laying very still. He told her to get up, but she was frozen in fear on the bed. She wasn't ready for this probably never would be, but she knew it was what she had to do to keep Messiah, and for that, she'd do anything.

The morning after, Aaliyah was making breakfast when she got a phone call.

"I'm looking for Aaliyah Burman."

"This is she, who's speaking?" She didn't recognize the voice on the phone.

"Good morning Ms. Burman, this is Carla Harrington calling from Better Days Funeral Home. I'm sorry to inform you that Mr. Joseph Lee Burman died in a car accident and we need you to come in and fill out some paperwork. We've been trying to reach your mother, but it appears her phone is disconnected."

"Look, if you're trying to make a joke, it's not funny," Aaliyah replied.

"I wish I was joking Ms. Burman. I'm sorry for your loss, you have my genuine condolences, but someone has to come fill out the paperwork for the burial."

She quickly just said "ok" and hung up the phone. She stood there bent over the sink before she fell to the floor and screamed out for her brother. Joseph was the only family Aaliyah had, besides her drug addict of a mother. Even though he was only 9, they were very close. She got him ready for school every morning, treated him as if he was her son. They were always laughing and playing, and then Aaliyah ran away to live with Messiah.