Chapter 27: To Stay or Leave

Lise's POV

Running through the woods, the wind whipped through my hair as the sun shined brightly in the cloudless sky. I darted past the last set of trees on the Manzanares territory before reaching the small stream where two women sat on the grass having a picnic. 'When did I arrive in Spain?' I thought to myself trying to recall something, anything that would explain why I was here.

"Annalia come join us." A woman, I recognized only in pictures as my Mother called out. She was absolutely stunning, her dark brown hair looked almost black under the sun. Her piercing hazel green eyes were filled with warmth as she sat there making sandwiches.

"Yea, come join us!" A girl who could literally pass as my twin chimed in as she waved me over with the flick of her hand. They both smiled at me lovingly. "It's about time you got here."

Somewhere in the back of my mind and deep within my heart, I knew this wasn't real, but my feet continued moving towards them anyway. My birth mother and Mia were gone, both taken away from us before their time. With a smile, I sat down next to Mia on the blanket.

"How did I get here?" I asked with confusion. My eyes travelled down to my flat stomach, causing me to let out a small gasp. I could faintly recall being pregnant at one point, wasn't I? Why can't I remember anything?

"What do you mean how did you get here?" With a raised eyebrow and a quick shake of her head, Mia let out a chuckle. "You're so silly, you just ran through the woods to get here, didn't you?"

'How can I rephrase my question so that I don't sound like an insane person?' I wondered as I stared mindlessly at the water flowing downstream. The soft trickle against the rocks was a soothing sound. Everything seemed a little too surreal here...a little too perfect. Aside from us talking, it was too...quiet.

"I love you and always knew you would grow up to be something special, Annalia. Just know that while I'd want to keep you with us forever, you have an important decision to make." My mother said, leaning forward to touch my hand which was resting in my lap. Our eyes met and I could sense the seriousness of her statement. "Mia and I would love for you to stay, but there are other places you are needed."

"Why would I need to make a decision? I want to stay here with you." I thought out loud. I didn't want to leave, I wanted to stay here and make up for lost time. "Where else am I needed?" There wasn't anywhere I needed to be at the present time, except right here with my family.

"I love you, and I'm so sorry I never got the chance to get to know you, but just know we're watching over you." With sad eyes, Mia pulled me into a tight hug. "I won't let you stay here, you need to go back. Your mate and baby need you."

And just like that all my memories came flooding back. It was like an old fashion movie, the reels playing back in slow motion. The feel of Tristan's lips against mine, the sound of the baby's heartbeat on the monitor, the burning sensation of a rogue's bite tearing into my neck, and then the feeling of dying. 'Was I dead?' Is that how I came to be here?

My eyes watered as I sat there and wept, I wept for the loss of my mother and sister. Two incredible women who never got to fully live out their lives. I cried for the guilt I felt for wanting to stay with them, but at the same time wanting to return to Tristan and our baby. I was completely torn, not knowing what to do.

As if they could sense my hesitation, Mia and my mother made my decision for me. They each took one of my hands into their own and squeezed. "Close your eyes and just let go, you must go back to them before it's too late." My mother said, urging me to leave.

"We'll always be with you." Mia's voice echoed as I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, letting go.

The sound of running water, almost the same as that of the stream made my eyes open. 'Was I still in Spain?' Is it too late for me to go back home?' Staring up at the familiar ceiling of my bedroom, I tried moving, but my body was incredibly sore. Looking down, I didn't feel the movement of the baby inside of me anymore. Tears welled up in my eyes and spilled over onto the pillow. 'Could I have possibly lost the baby?'