Chapter 3: Discovery

Tristan's POV

I had a heavy heart upon hanging up the phone with Lise. A sick feeling developed in the pit of my stomach the entire time we spoke. She seemed somewhat distant like there was something on her mind that she couldn't discuss with me. It made me want to get on the first flight out of Port Clyde just to be with her...just to see for myself that she was ok. Of course, I couldn't very well do that with the Alpha responsibilities I needed to handle.

Letting out a frustrated sigh, I stood from my desk and decided to go for a run. I needed to clear my mind, if I spent all my time worrying about Lise I'd never get anything done. The sooner I get my duties out the way, the quicker I can leave. Besides, she's safe with Rico and I'm confident the Manzanares pack wouldn't let anything happen to their princess...or at least I hoped they wouldn't.

"Hey Trist, everything cool?" Luke asked as I walked through the kitchen towards the back door. He was helping Anya prepare dinner for the pack. Not wanting to discuss anything that might cause Anya to panic, I nodded my head yes and suggested. "Up for a run?" Being my best friend, Luke was able to sense something was wrong so he quickly agreed.

"Mind if I join Tristan?" Luke turned towards Anya to ask for permission. He was shooed away as Anya shoved him in the back. Guess she feels like he's more of a burden than help since he practically eats everything as soon as she cuts it up. "We'll be back soon." Luke promised, giving Anya a quick kiss. We ran through the woods side by side for a little while before Luke finally mindlinked me.

Just having the support of my Beta at my side relieved some of the stress weighing heavy on my shoulders. "What happened with Lise?" Luke inquired looking over at me. "I'm not really sure. She kept saying everything was fine, but I could tell she was lying." I responded as we slowed down to a stop. We stared out towards the lighthouse basking in the serenity of the Muscongus Bay.

"Suppose she really is fine though." Luke said trying to ease my worries. "Maybe you're overthinking things since it's the first time you guys have been this far away from one another in such a long time. It doesn't really help that she's pregnant either...I worry about Anya all damn day so I know the feeling." Could that really be what's up with me? Am I stressing when I shouldn't be?

Closing my eyes I allowed the cool breeze to wash over me. The memory of our first date at the lighthouse brought an instant smile to my lips...it was followed closely by the night we spent sleeping under the stars. Dammit every single last thing around here reminds me of Lise. The distance between us along with not knowing what's going on is driving me insane.

I can't even sense Lise, I can normally feel if she's in danger or if there's something that's on her mind. Right now my mind is filled with endless silence, it's like she's blocked me out completely. The thought of not being in touch with my mate is somewhat frightening and disturbing at the same time. I can't communicate with Lise even if I wanted to...she put her walls up.

Shaking my head, I decided that I wasn't overreacting. I take pride in knowing Lise better than she knows herself sometimes and deep down inside I can sense something's not right. "We should head back, since Lise won't tell me what's up I need to call Rico or Lonso. I need to get to the bottom of this." I decided if Lise wasn't going to tell me, one of her brothers better if they know what's good for them.

The phone went directly to voicemail almost as if his phone was powered off when I called Lonso. It rang three times before Rico's voice filled the line with a 'hello'. "You need to tell me if Lise is in danger." I demanded without even returning his greeting. The silence from the other line made me yank my phone away from my ear just to check the screen and make sure we didn't lose connection.

With a deep sigh, Rico finally decided to offer an answer. "Lise isn't the one in imminent danger, you are." Rico's words echoed over and over like someone hit the repeat button. "Charges have been brought against us to the council that we allowed someone outside of royalty to claim and mate the princess tainting the royal lineage. It's equivalent to treason. Whoever it is doesn't know who you are or where you and Lise live, hence why the council's looking for you."

I noticed Rico refused to mention my name at all, he was very vague when it came to details regarding where I currently was. Maybe he was right, it wasn't safe to discuss this over the phone. You never know who could be listening in on our conversation. My heart almost stopped when Rico explained to me Lonso and their father were being detained by the council because they wouldn't give up any information and that Juan was watching over the Manzanares pack.

"Where are you staying? I'm taking the first flight out." I asked, grabbing a duffle bag I began shoving clothes and necessities in. "The best thing you can do for Lise right now is to stay home. If you come over here, god only knows what'll happen if the council gets a hold of you. Please, Lise doesn't need the added stress. Let us sort this out and we'll be in touch." Rico all but pleaded.

"How can you ask me to just sit back and do nothing while my wife...my mate is over there dealing with....with this?!?" I bellowed angrily slamming my fist on our dresser causing Lise's perfumes to rattle. Rico uttered a quick "I've got to go...I'm sorry, but I promise I won't allow anything to happen to her" before he hung up. My entire nerve endings felt wrapped tight like a king cobra ready to strike. Within the time span of less than thirty seconds I strangely began to calm down. 'Please Tristan, I need you to stay home for me. I promise you that we're safe...please.' Lise's distressed voice invaded my mind.

Finally! It's crazy to say, but I felt whole again. Lise allowing us to reconnect through the mindlink filled the missing gap in my heart. 'Are you really safe?' I questioned, unsure if her brother's word was valid. I can't believe I allowed her to go over there. Rico promised me he'd take care of her. As soon as I get a chance I need to update Axel, I'm pretty sure Lise has been keeping this from him too.

'I'm very safe, and I'll be able to handle this situation better if you stay where you are. It'll only complicate things if you come here.' I admired the way Lise tried to make her voice sound strong, but I could sense her tension. Not wanting to cause her any added stress, I agreed...for now. 'Ok baby, I'll stay here as long as you promise to keep me updated and no more blocking me out.' I addressed sternly.

'Deal.' Lise responded sadly. 'I love you Tristan.' All I could do was answer back with words even though I wanted to wrap her in my arms and tell her it's going to be ok. 'I love you more.' Just because I said I'd stay home doesn't mean I agreed to stay out of this. I'm going to find out who the hell this person is who went to the council and then I'm going to kill him.

Five days have passed without any new developments from Lise and I was growing irritable. I put word out to all my Alpha allies to keep an ear out for anything out of the ordinary. Who knew there were so many damn rules when it came to royalty. My father contacted some of the royal packs he became friends with over the years and discussed our concerns with them. From what I can see, no rules were broken. Lise wasn't raised as royalty, hell she didn't even know she was a wolf let alone a princess until after I claimed her.

I decided I needed to speak to the council or at least try to make them see what Lise and I had was in no way wrong. Hence why I'm currently sitting on a first class flight with my father and Lise's parents. I figured the more people there to explain our innocence of not knowing Lise's heritage the better. I contacted Marco...yes, Marco of all people and asked if we could stay at his packhouse to not attract any unwanted attention. Luckily he agreed, offering to help us in any way he could.

Upon arrival to Marco's territory we were welcomed by Marco and shown to our rooms to get settled. "Can we talk?" Marco asked leading me to his study. I diligently followed and took a seat across from him. "First and foremost I need to apologize to you for all the pain and suffering my mother as well as myself have caused. None of this would have occurred if it weren't for us." My eyebrows scrunched up in confusion, I thought we were passed the apologies and forgiveness?

"Word on the street is that the person who's behind all this is Selena. She filed the charges with the council." Marco disclosed which baffled the shit outta me. Who the hell's Selena? He must have been able to sense my confusion, because he continued talking. "Remember the hot spanish beauty who my mother paid to drug you with black ice? The same one who caused trouble between you and Analia at Club Mondo? Well word is she wants you and she'll stop at nothing to make you hers."